[Solved] FreeCAD is interfering with VLC (Video player)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD is interfering with VLC (Video player)

Post by adrianinsaval »

Rich83 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:55 am I have tried to build OpenCAD from source so I can investigate the issues further but I'm really struggling to get all the dependencies to behave and at the required versions.
I'm guessing you actually meant FreeCAD ;) you could just wait for the next development appimage (if it's not available already) or if you really want to compile freecad it's probably better to open a new thread in the install/compile forum where you can probably get better help for that.
But what about the more serious issue of the file dialogue interfering with external applications (in my case, VLC); does it do anything to address that? I can't tell from the code and am not familiar with QT - I was planning on diving into QT once I got the code to build, which hasn't happened.
I believe this is Qt stuff and is not a serious bug, it's a feature. Or is FreeCAD auto adding other undesired fav directories?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:04 am I believe this is Qt stuff and is not a serious bug, it's a feature. Or is FreeCAD auto adding other undesired fav directories?
Yes, it's the desired behaviour of Qt. See line 2855ff at https://code.woboq.org/qt5/qtbase/src/w ... g.cpp.html
Rich83

Post by Rich83 »

FIXED!

I asked on the Qt forum....

https://forum.qt.io/topic/138564/how-to ... plications

...and it turns out that the Qt library honours the XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment variable. This can be set to make the Qt library use a different location for its configuration thus allowing it to be made separate for each application, and circumventing this 'feature' (stupid behaviour).

Just set XDG_CONFIG_HOME your desired directory path before running FreeCAD (or whatever Qt-based application you have). Note that FreeCAD will also honour XDG_CONGIG_HOME, so it's own configuration will also be placed in the new directory, but I'm not finding that a problem at all.

Rich
Rich83

Post by Rich83 »

I would mark this resolved, but I can't see how to do so.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Rich83 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:41 pm I would mark this resolved, but I can't see how to do so.
Go back to the very first post. Click the pencil icon to edit. Change the title by adding [Solved] at the beginning.

Only the author or a moderator can edit a post. That is why you were asked to make the change.

(I am a moderator, but I will let you handle this one. 8-) )

Gene