Shrinking Dimension constraints

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Steve76063

Shrinking Dimension constraints

Post by Steve76063 »

I've been having an occasional issue with the screen display of my length constraints when I zoom into a sketch - the text shrinks as I zoom in on the sketch which sometimes makes it hard to see/select a length constraint. Is there a way around this?

This is occasional as sometimes I can exit a sketch, and get back into it and the dimension text will stay the same as I zoom in and out.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Shrinking Dimension constraints

Post by chrisb »

Please attach your full FreeCAD info as described in the IMPORTANT forum rules linked above, and a reproducible example would be great. I remember an issue with dimension texts when using perspective view. Do you use that?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Steve76063

Post by Steve76063 »

I'm on FreeCad v 0.20 (the latest I think), and I've noticed this in 0.19 also...I'm waiting for it to pop up again so I can document it with pictures/files.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Please read the guidelines linked in the big red banner, only the FreeCAD version number is very often not enough information. When you encounter this issue check if you are in parallel view mode or perspective view mode.
Steve76063

Post by Steve76063 »

OK, I just ran into the issue again...lets see if I can include all the pertinent information:
Zoomed in - Dimension text has shrunk
Zoomed in - Dimension text has shrunk
Test 2.jpeg (46.13 KiB) Viewed 718 times
Zoomed out - Dimension text is readable
Zoomed out - Dimension text is readable
Test 1.jpeg (46.58 KiB) Viewed 718 times

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.29177 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: 68e337670e227889217652ddac593c93b5e8dc94
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * 3D_Printing_Tools
  * fasteners 0.3.46
  * Help 1.0.3
  * Lithophane
Attachments
Test dimension shrink.FCStd
(16.67 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I can see the same thing If I switch to Perspective view instead of Orthographic view.

I guess everyone has their own preferences, but I cannot understand trying to sketch with Perspective view. :?

Gene
Steve76063

Post by Steve76063 »

Gene,

Guess I'm still in the learning phase...I never realized that it'd be easier with Orthographic. I'll give that a go and see how I like it.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

My thinking is that sketching in FreeCAD is not artistic; it is completely technical. Therefore the use of perspective view with vanishing points, etc. does not work for me.

If you like the perspective view for the 3D object, fine. I just don't think it is best for 2D sketches.

But that is why we have options. 8-)

Gene
jkaskey

Post by jkaskey »

As another newbie or at least very occasional user, I'll stick up for the OP's use of perspective view. In my case it wasn't intentional, but if you are in 3D view sometimes perspective view is just easier to view assemblies. Then if you click "Edit Sketch" you are still in perspective view without thinking anything should have changed in the sketch. With the explanation here I get it, but screen text should not be shrinking out of view, regardless of the view method. I would not put it on the list of top 5 things to fix (like numbering of elements sometimes ordinal sometimes zero-based on the same screen), but it can stymie a newbie for a while. As always, thanks for the helpful forum responders.