How to use "Insert Draft Workbench Object"

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
SteveD

How to use "Insert Draft Workbench Object"

Post by SteveD »

I am trying to produce schematics of our furnaces. We need to show the volume of the furnace chamber, the Qualified Working Zone within it and the thermocouple identities that define the Qualified Working Zone. As we have about 20 furnaces, each slightly different I want to have the details (width, height etc) in the Spreadsheet Workbench, and have this drive all the parameters to produce a dimensioned furnace drawing. Using a solid wireframe to show the furnace chamber and a dashed wireframe to show the Qualified Working Zone within. With the thermocouple IDs placed at the corners of the Qualified Working Zone.

I can generate the wireframes and text in the Draft tool easily. My next step is to generate a TechDraw page and place the views in that. I cannot use "Insert View" or "Insert Projection Group" because those functions do not render the dashed lines, nor text. I have read that the function to use is "Insert Draft Workbench Object", but I get baffling results. I select the "Top View of the 3D model in Draft, then select the objects and use the "Insert Draft Workbench Object", but what I get on the Page has obviously gone through some kind of projection that is not described in the Help.

How do I correctly use the "Insert Draft Workbench Object" tool to create views in the Techdraw page?
I am a complete newbie to this software, please assume that my ignorance is total.

(This tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myu_d4OUl1w) shows a lot of dimensions being placed on a part. I presume these can be shown on a Techdraw page?)
Attachments
Furnace_Diagrams 2022-08-05.FCStd
(33.07 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to use "Insert Draft Workbench Object"

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I don't use Draft workbench much, because it lacks some parametric power. Thus I cannot say much about Draft <-> TechDraw.

The dimensioning in Draft existed long before TechDraw, and the Draft dimensions are - as far as I know - not meant to appear on the TechDraw document. I'm doing all the dimensioning in TechDraw.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: How to use "Insert Draft Workbench Object"

Post by Shalmeneser »

:idea:
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2022-08-05 141601.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-08-05 141601.jpg (22.84 KiB) Viewed 354 times
Furnace_Diagrams _SHALM.FCStd
(13.67 KiB) Downloaded 11 times