Missing default icons

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Bance
Veteran

Re: Missing default icons

Post by Bance »

If you want to use the icons make the changes suggested, if not then.....
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

Bance wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:48 pm If you want to use the icons make the changes suggested, if not then.....
Which icons do you mean? I am not sure you understood what I am talking about.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

leoheck wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:11 pm Which icons do you mean? I am not sure you understood what I am talking about.
Are you trolling????

What is the entire focus of this topic????

Gene
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

The focus is to show some icons are missing.

98% of the icons do not belong to the theme, so why use 4 icons from the theme while everything else is going to be different from FreeCad? The original interface could use Freecad icons.

I have no idea why you are trolling.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

Anyways, I've reported this to the repo responsible for the original icon theme on Ubuntu: https://github.com/ubuntu/yaru/issues/3683

Nice discussion here guys. Thank you.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

leoheck wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:21 pm
Nice discussion here guys. Thank you.
It seems you are missing two facts:

- FC usually use the default icon theme of the OS if not instructed differently. (This is a decent behavior, as many like to use default icin theme)

- Some icons may be missing from the icon theme supplied by the OS.

You have not to blame FC if your OS has same icon for two different "actions".

Solution has been supplied to you from at least two users.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

onekk wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:40 pm It seems you are missing two facts:
It seems you are missing some facts.

1. I am not blaming anyone. I am sharing the facts with this community, here in this forum.

2. I am not customizing anything.

3. It looks like Freecad is not using its default theme for some icons. I have no clue why it does that since I did not change anything. If I prefer something it is to use FreeCad icons, since there is no theme on the planet that is going to match the other 98% of the icons that were perfectly made for default FreeCad icons. So, why is it applying system theme to just 2% of the icons?

Regards, Carlo D.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

leoheck wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:04 pm
3. It looks like Freecad is not using its default theme for some icons. I have no clue why it does that since I did not change anything. If I prefer something it is to use FreeCad icons, since there is no theme on the planet that is going to match the other 98% of the icons that were perfectly made for default FreeCad icons. So, why is it applying system theme to just 2% of the icons?

Regards, Carlo D.

Sorry for any misunderstanding, and maybe to appear rude.

FC has chosen to use the OS default icon theme, but let you use his internal icon theme if anything go wrong.

In your case supplied OS theme is not correct in some sense. (I'm not using Ubuntu but when i've used Linux Mint I've had similar problems)

Sometimes even using a different DE will result in problem as things are very disputed about what is the standard behaviour, every DE has his own philosophy.

In Icon theme there are even "context like applications, actions, emblem and so on.

But in the very end there are some icons and a bunch of links that point from different "icon names" to "real icons" so probably your default OS icon theme will use same icon for different "icon names".

Different DE or distribution may have not this problem or maybe is related to "icon theme".

It is a long disputed arguments, there is no optimal solution, said from a more than 20 years of Linux usage.

Sometimes you could find the problematic link and change it to suit your needs, and sometimes it could be handy to make a shell script thst will create or modify links when theme is updated, even signaling the priblem to distribution maintainers or package maintainer could be a solution, your mileage may vary as you could find rude answers to your complains or simply "won't fix" as answers.

Regards

Carli D.
Last edited by onekk on Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

leoheck wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:04 pm 2. I am not customizing anything.
are you purposefully ignoring me?
adrianinsaval wrote:There is always one set as default.
Your linux system has an icon theme set for Qt applications by default, usually qt apps follow the system configuration unless told otherwise, I agree with you that FreeCAD should use it's own icons instead of system icons by default, but this can bring other issues as missing icons in the file open dialog in the current state, ideally we would want some way of keeping the system icons in the icon search paths but having them with lower priority than the FreeCAD icons, I'm not sure how this can be done. Related discussion: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 71#p604471
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:54 pm Your linux system has an icon theme set for Qt applications by default, usually qt apps follow the system configuration unless told otherwise, I agree with you that FreeCAD should use it's own icons instead of system icons by default, but this can bring other issues as missing icons in the file open dialog in the current state, ideally we would want some way of keeping the system icons in the icon search paths but having them with lower priority than the FreeCAD icons, I'm not sure how this can be done. Related discussion: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 71#p604471
Oh, this is awesome. I haven't seen your other replies this forum is so confusing. Have you tried the Kicad forum? That forum is sweet. It really helps discussions, A LOT. Well, I am sorry. Also, I am trying to post in another thread and I am getting this "General Error"

See: https://www.reddit.com/r/FreeCAD/commen ... &context=3

Now, back to discussing those icons. It looks like the icons were not missing, then. Freecad was using Ubuntu's default theme icons (Yaru), but those icons were equal for both actions and this is what I got all wrong all the time. I felt for ages that those icons were just broken images. Well, I could start a discussion in Yaru's repo and the developer that is being a nice person to me. He also said he could locate the names of those icons, in the Freecad source, which is awesome. He was faster than I could help. So, in the end, Yaru's theme is going to be improved, which is awesome. Let's see how it will work in the future.

Thansks Adrianinsaval.