step file has no color

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
VanderBuggy

step file has no color

Post by VanderBuggy »

This is weird. I created a STEP file from Altium Designer (schematic/layout CAD software) and then wanted to use FreeCAD to etch a part number onto the generic STEP file. To my surprise, upon opening the STEP file using FreeCAD there are no colors. However, when I open the same STEP file using eDrawings I can see colors. Similarly, if I open the step file using Altium I also see colors.

So, what could be the root cause of a colorless STEP file when opening with FreeCAD when other CAD programs display color?

It is important to note that I am not attempting to add colors using FreeCAD - the STEP file already has colors - FreeCAD isn't displaying these colors for some reason.

I've had a look at Preferences --> Import-Export and I can see that AP214 International Standard is selected from the drop down of the export of a STEP. I don't see something similar for importing a STEP.

I've attached the STEP file of interest.

I'm using
FreeCad version 0.20 29177 (git) - 2022/06/13 23:43:45 release date
Windows 10 Pro (always up to date).
Attachments
QFN40P400X450X60_HS-35L.step
(65.65 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
-vb
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: step file has no color

Post by NewJoker »

Here's what I get after importing this file to FreeCAD 0.20:

colors.JPG
colors.JPG (47.62 KiB) Viewed 1607 times

Does it look like this also on your side ?
VanderBuggy

Post by VanderBuggy »

This is a bit stranger.

After some fiddling I discovered the following

Under the Import section of Preferences --> Import-Export disabling (unchecking) Enable STEP Compound merge allows colors of the STEP file to show upon import.

As a test I checked Enable STEP Compound merge and imported the same STEP - and it has color.

I've exited and restarted FreeCAD - and without changing anything (Enable STEP Compound merge still checked ) imported the STEP - and it has color. (oddly, the STEP tab under Preferences --> Import-Export was missing this time)

So, I don't know what to think at this point.
Last edited by VanderBuggy on Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-vb
VanderBuggy

Post by VanderBuggy »

NewJoker wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:54 pm Here's what I get after importing this file to FreeCAD 0.20:

colors.JPG

Does it look like this also on your side ?
Originally, the STEP was all grey - what I described as colorless. I'm guessing there's some undiscovered glitch/bug.
-vb
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

In my case, colors are preserved regardless if "Enable STEP Compound merge" is on or off (I have it on normally).

The tab with STEP import and export settings appears when you load the Part or Part Design workbench for the first time.