scale a mesh in draft create invisible object and moving issue

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
carlopav
Veteran

Re: scale a mesh in draft create invisible object and moving issue

Post by carlopav »

heda wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:05 pm it was a lot easier to add/remove points from a draft/spline in v0.18 via gui,
I really wish someone would bring that back!!!
@carlopav - would it be possible for you to bring that back? (I think you were involved in making the change - if not ignore it...)
Think I remember you saying that there was some agreement that they should go, but it is not only me thinking that was the wrong decision...
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57385
Can you explain what exactly was easier?
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

discoverability & convenience for adding/removing points was better in v0.18, the way editing a point once it is there is just fine as it is.

task panel screenshot v0.19 for editing a spline
Snip macro screenshot-5abeb3.png
Snip macro screenshot-5abeb3.png (16.69 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
task panel screenshot v0.18 for editing a spline
Snip macro screenshot-f5face.png
Snip macro screenshot-f5face.png (20.3 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
on v0.18 there are add/remove buttons for spline/wire editing,
fully discoverable and much more user friendly,
compared to current state which is that one either has to go to "Points" property and do a table edit, or use shortcut combinations which one never remembers... (i even forgot that there were short-cuts, and finding that out through docs compared to just have a button to click at, well it is a world of difference - to me at least...)
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

I really prefer current implementation, also if i agree that if you do not pay attention to the tooltip and you do not read the documentation its not easy to Discover where the functions are.

Why a context menù vs 2 buttons in the task panel:
The whole Draft_Edit command has been changed to overcome several problems of node selection and to add the possibility to
easily extend the use of the command to new objects.
The removal of those buttons for a specific object edit mode was a direct consequence of that generalization and its not possibile with current implementation to just bring them back, or at least its too cumbersome for my skill level and point of view.

What was my aim at the beginning:
The objective was have the commands available in the right click context menù, but i already tried and didnt succeed in the task, so the "e" key Is a kind of workaround that ended up to satisfy me quite a lot in everyday use.

What could eventually help:
What we could do Is to eventually add another message (the command tooltip already explain it) in the task panel that points to the correect shortcut to display the context menu.
This also was agreed, but i didnt yet have the time to try to implement It.
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

ok, the e-key trick has passed me by, but is now on my radar, thanks.

one of the reasons it has passed me by is because i never see that tool-tip, always double click in the tree...
also do not think i would have figured it out even by reading the tool-tip (and would probably not have found the right spot in the docs either without explicitly spending time on hunting that specific thing up, quite deeply buried).

anyhow, work fine on a wire, not so fine on a spline - at least i get funky results, like double points (which completely messes up the spline), or that it simply refuses to add a point - suppose there is some proximity thing going on for that.

still think the v0.18 version (of the ui/workflow) is more straightforward in all aspects, but it is what it is and suppose some bugs were fixed in the process.

if there are textual instructions of options to edit in the task-panel, that helps.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

heda wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:39 pm anyhow, work fine on a wire, not so fine on a spline - at least i get funky results, like double points (which completely messes up the spline), or that it simply refuses to add a point - suppose there is some proximity thing going on for that.
Hmm, this could be a bug... I can have a look at It when i have some free time. Perhaps It would be helpful if you provide a file and the steps to reproduce.
Thx
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

could some admin break-out this thread into a new topic from carlopavs first post, title: draft edit wire/spline errors?

oops :? , stumbled over a way to segfault it...
- double-click wire to edit
- press e and move mouse over first leg (to left), context pops up - add point
- actually, the context only appears after one has done the focus click in 3d-view (which is understandable coding wise, but really confusing to a user - it should be possible to programmatically put focus on the 3d-view when finishing off the opening of the task-panel (or something along these lines))
- hold e-key and drag mouse over the newly added point - fc segfaults and disappears...
might be that one has to do one lmb click outside of the wire to get the segfault, did not fully chase it down...
seems like if one goes out of the edit-mode and back again to remove the point it does not segfault...

funky spline editing...
- double-click bspline to edit
- do focus on 3d-view
- drag mouse from left to right (or from right to left) over middle of first leg
add-point appears, but it does not add a point...
- the same over the middle leg, this is where i got funky double points in v0.19, but it seems better behaved in v0.20 (or the spline is different on the smaller numbers, or something)...
- bspline001 is adding a point with mouse move from left to right over the last leg, as can be seen it completely alters the shape of the spline... (suppose there is some point-indexing going on here...)

if something can be done here, that would be great!
ot: the editor for the points could also be worked through, can be made a lot more useful than it is now, probably not with too much effort - but suppose that editor is one of the completely hidden and hardly used features of fc... (maybe it would be a quite natural way to edit things if it was given a make-over...)
Attachments
funky_edit.FCStd
(8.65 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

heda wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:58 am funky spline editing...
Can you try to substitute this file in /Mod/Draft/draftguitools and see if it fixes the bug also for you?
Attachments
gui_edit_draft_objects.py
patch
(32.66 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

@carlopav
cool, this behaves much better, hope this makes it into v0.20.1!!

ps: there is something weird going on with preselection highlight after adding points, but that is just visual.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

heda wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:55 am @carlopav
cool, this behaves much better, hope this makes it into v0.20.1!!
good, i'll go for a PR 7295. It was a bug I introduced when extending Draft_Edit to be usable with objects within an App::Part

ps: there is something weird going on with preselection highlight after adding points, but that is just visual.
I also noticed something strange... the BSpline looks like it is closed right after editing, but as soon as you move the mouse, it appear correct again. I do not know why this happens, perhaps it has something to do with the editing preview. I'll have a look first or later, but now i'm really out of time.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

@heda the fix has been backported to 0.20 branch.