Constraints in Sheet Metal?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
frnq

Re: Constrains in Sheet Metal?

Post by frnq »

Wow, nice community here! Thanks a lot for so much helpful response.
I don't have so much time so it took me a while before I had time but today I found some time to draw again ;)

It seems I understand the freebend feature. Still playing a bit around with it but I'm sure that will work out.

But I have a related question uppon this method of drawing. I need these plates to be relative to eachother. Bolt holes need to line up.
As far as I learned from the information on Youtube and the Wiki page I can use "Create an edge linked to an external geometry (X)" also called "External Geometry". Now I have used this feature succesfully for holes in a plate. But it does not seem to work for two plates relative to eachother. I can't select a point of another plate to align the current one.

I guess I am doing this wrong or using the wrong feature?
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

frnq wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:18 pm As far as I learned from the information on Youtube and the Wiki page I can use "Create an edge linked to an external geometry (X)" .Now I have used this feature succesfully for holes in a plate. But it does not seem to work for two plates relative to eachother. I can't select a point of another plate to align the current one.
External geometry is for inside a same body (a message informs you below of the ComboView).
You need a PartDesign_SubShapeBinder to catch geometry for outside the body. Then inside a sketch, you can use external geometry for this binder. It's like an indirect way of external geometry.
Attachments
Binder_ShALM.FCStd
(8.99 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Here is my file with holes added. I used only Sheetmetal WB and Part WB
Attachments
BatteryBracket-New.FCStd
(68.11 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
frnq

Post by frnq »

Shalmeneser wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:26 pm External geometry is for inside a same body (a message informs you below of the ComboView).
You need a PartDesign_SubShapeBinder to catch geometry for outside the body. Then inside a sketch, you can use external geometry for this binder. It's like an indirect way of external geometry.
Damn, Freecad is no joke to learn. But it has awesome features ones you learned them!
This is a super powerful feature the ShapeBinder and SubShapeBinder.

Thanks a lot for the help.

I've used this video to learn how to use it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCY5IrWrHrU