draft/sketch problems

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cado

draft/sketch problems

Post by cado »

I tinkered a little with the draft module and the sketcher and had some problems.
Draft module:
#When drawing a circle or arc I can't edit it.
Open FreeCAD. Draw a circle or arc. Selcet circle or arc and click on edit button. Nothing happens.
When selecting a line or polyline and pressing the edit button black squares appear where the points/vertices are. But I can't see such a thing when trying to edit a circle or arc.

#bounding box does not work properly on circles, arcs, (and rectangles?)
Open FreeCAD. Draw a circle or arc. Go to property view and set "bounding box" to true. The bounding box will appear on the wrong place. (Also try to create a circle in other view than the top view -> the bounding box will appear in the front view)

#editing rectangle will go crazy if you try to "invert" the rectangle
Open FreeCAD. Draw a rectangle (from upper left corner to lower right corner). Select the rectangle and click on the edit button. Move the lower right point above the left upper point (or move the lower right point to the right of the upper left point and above it, so the lower right point becomes the upper left point and vice versa)

Sketcher
Is it possible to change the value of the distance constraint?
Would be nice if the distance constraint could be applied to the distance of two lines. For example if you have two rectangles next to one another and you want to define the distance between them.
Why are the circle and the arc function grayed out in Sketcher? (not supported yet??)
There is no angle constraint, right?

Is there a way to extrude a rectangle without having to select it from the "extrude table"? (Just click on the rectangle and press extrude or press extrude and select the rectangle)

I used: FreeCAD_0.11.3789_x86_unstable_setup.msi
yorik
Founder

Re: draft/sketch problems

Post by yorik »

Great! Thanks for reporting!
cado wrote:#When drawing a circle or arc I can't edit it.
Indeed. I'll fix that.
cado wrote:#bounding box does not work properly on circles, arcs, (and rectangles?)
Yes, that's weird... Bounding boxes seem to have a problem with placements. Werner or Jürgen, can you have a look? That problem occurs with any shape, not only draft shapes. If you draw an object exactly centered on the origin, the bounding box is correct. If you move that object to another location, the bounding box moves too, but to an incorrect position. As an example, try creating a Part cube or any other shape and moving it with the draft move tool.
cado wrote:#editing rectangle will go crazy if you try to "invert" the rectangle
Yes, I must fix that too
cado wrote:Is it possible to change the value of the distance constraint?
The sketcher is still far from finished. I think the features you ask for will certainly be there, you'll just have to wait a little bit more, I'm afraid.

We need to go help Jürgen to finish his house faster! ;)
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Yes, that's weird... Bounding boxes seem to have a problem with placements. Werner or Jürgen, can you have a look? That problem occurs with any shape, not only draft shapes. If you draw an object exactly centered on the origin, the bounding box is correct. If you move that object to another location, the bounding box moves too, but to an incorrect position. As an example, try creating a Part cube or any other shape and moving it with the draft move tool.
Indeed. It seems that the movement for bounding boxes for shapes is applied twice. Even more weird is the fact that works correctly for meshes.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ok, I (hopefully) fixed the two problems in the Draft module!
cado

Post by cado »

Thanks! Will wait for the next unstable release :)
cado

Post by cado »

using: FreeCAD_0.11.3824_x86_unstable_setup.msi

#scaling does not work on the first time
When you draw something with the draw module you can't scale it. When you cancel your first scale attempt and try to scale it a second time it will work.

#one can't edit elements after scaling
When you draw something in the draw module and scale it (second time (see first point)) you can't edit the drawing after the scaling.

#closed line elements becomes filled elements after scaling the first time.
If you draw a circle, rectangle or a polygon (rectangle...) and try to scale them they will become filled elements (faces).

#int the draft module in edit mode the points have the snap color
When you edit a polyline the points gets the same color as the snapping color.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

cado wrote:#scaling does not work on the first time
For me it seems to work ok?
cado wrote:#one can't edit elements after scaling
Indeed, scaling turns parametric draft objects into non-parametric ones. I'll fix that ASAP
cado wrote:#closed line elements becomes filled elements after scaling the first time.
I'll fix that too
cado wrote:#int the draft module in edit mode the points have the snap color
Yes that's the idea actually. The snap color is used for all "on-screen symbols"...
cado

Post by cado »

yorikvanhavre wrote: Yes that's the idea actually. The snap color is used for all "on-screen symbols"...
The problem is that one can't see when the point is snapped to a line. I know that the point is snapped to a line if I move the point to a line but one can't see it.

#when moving a scaled arc/ b-spline the two outer points will not appear in the right place
draw a arc/ b-spline. scale it. move it somewhere. now you should see the two outer points being on the wrong place.

still using FreeCAD_0.11.3824_x86_unstable_setup.msi
cado

Post by cado »

FreeCAD_0.11.3856_x86_unstable_setup.msi

old issues (see previous posts):

#one can't edit elements after scaling
Now the edit button will be deactivated (grayed out) when one wants to edit a scaled element.
Is this a quick workaround or will be editing of scaled elements not be allowed?

#closed line elements becomes filled elements after scaling the first time

#int the draft module in edit mode the points have the snap color
What about making the snap circles (circles which appears when something is snapped) bigger when editing something?
So the snap circles won't be covered by the points/verticies one wants to be snapped.

#when moving a scaled arc/ b-spline the two outer points will not appear in the right place
By "the two outer points" I mean the start- and the endpoint of an arc or b-spline.
(draw arc, scale it, move it -> see what happens)
Or is this a feature so one can draw smilies :)
The picture above is not a smily :P

new issues:

#FreeCAD will crash when using the DraftModule GUI the wrong way :)
Draw a line then click on the "move" button. (not moving away the cursor from the "move" button) When clicking a second time and after that moving the cursor over the canvas, FreeCAD will crash. This also happens when using the rotate, offset, scale or trim/extend button.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Hi, sorry for the long delay, just got back from holidays.
The whole scaling problem is still there, I still didn't attack it. Scaling turns Draft object into non-parametric objects and therefore they are made "uneditable". I'll try to remedy to this, which should make them editable again.
About the edit points color, you have a point... They must be distinguishable from the snap symbols. Maybe indeed the best way would be to make them the same color as lines, I'll do some tests.
About the dots being at the wrong place, I see that too, it happens with splines as well. Not sure about what is wrong, though. Somehow the vertex dots don't take placements into account... I'll try to narrow the problem down and make a bug report
About the crash indeed I can confirm it, I'll fix that ASAP.