Part Design Boolean Cut with imported STEP structure

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mikkamakka

Part Design Boolean Cut with imported STEP structure

Post by mikkamakka »

Hi there,
I have created a structure in Part Design Workbench, from which I should subtract an object imported from a STEP file. The STEP file contains many "objects" inside, and there are multiple non-touching solids inside it. How could I subtract such a structure from a PartDesign Body? The imported STEP structure isn't listed in the Body list of the Boolean parameters. A can't put the structure inside a body, because it has multiple parts. I had some success in Part WB, but it would be practical to stay in PartDesign WB, since I need to make a few changes, which are convenient in PartDesign (and moving from Part back to PartDesign broke the design).
Thanks!
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Part Design Boolean Cut with imported STEP structure

Post by openBrain »

You can set the PartDesign Body in 'Through' mode and do the boolean difference in Part, using the Body and your STEP object.
mikkamakka

Post by mikkamakka »

Oh. I thought there could be issues with mixing Part and PartDesign WBs. I've tried it out and it worked, if I first make a Fusion of the imported STEP structures with Part's Union operator (but without the compound; I had to select all the objects in the imported STEP container in the tree view first).

Thank you!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mikkamakka wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:01 pm Oh. I thought there could be issues with mixing Part and PartDesign WBs.
As long as you use the whole body there are no issues, when applying Part or Draft tools. Problems can occur if you apply these tools to something inside of a body.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mikkamakka

Post by mikkamakka »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:34 pm As long as you use the whole body there are no issues, when applying Part or Draft tools. Problems can occur if you apply these tools to something inside of a body.
Many thanks for the explanation, Chris!