[Workaround] Not Responding after Splash Screen Win 10

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
russhart

[Workaround] Not Responding after Splash Screen Win 10

Post by russhart »

Hi, rather than add to one of the other existing topics on this, as I just spent the last hour finding out what the problem was and how to fix it, I created an account to post the fix.
One thing that isn't mentioned normally is if there are multiple monitors on the system. My computer has got three 1920x1080 monitors. I tried the normal of re-installing the program, making sure the installation folder was deleted, etc. After having no joy for multiple tries, I decided to check Windows registry for any FreeCAD entries. That is where I discovered the problem, and spent an hour testing the limits.
In HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\FreeCAD\Qt5.15 are two settings. Size and Position. For the program to open, the position can't be anymore than half the size (Program window size) to either the left or right of the main computer screen. My setup has one either side so I was able to test it fully.
Lets say the program window is 1600 x 900px. If the position is set at 0,0 the program will open. If you put it on the left side monitor (position -1920, 0) you get the blank white screen. It will open when position is set to -800, 0 (Half of size - 1600px), but doesn't at -801, 0.
Going onto the right side monitor it works the same way, but you get an extra 118px to play with. ie, It will open at 918,0, but not at 919,0. which going by the other side you would expect it to be 800.
I would suggest the dev's have a look at checking the code on program loading so that it does have the ability to open on start on whichever monitor you happen to close it on. But for the moment, for all those unanswered or resolved queries on this problem, the above is my findings.
Although the problem started with 19.3 after moving it to a different monitor, all the testing was done on version 20.

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.29177 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: 68e337670e227889217652ddac593c93b5e8dc94
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
Last edited by russhart on Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Not Responding after Splash Screen

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for posting your findings.

From your post I learned that it is rather a Qt issue, so the FreeCAD developers can probably not really help.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have added an entry to the Known OS specific issues.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

HI, @russhart Welcome on board!

Could you please add the infos required in:

IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help

http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264

Side notes:

I think that adding to the tile "Win10" or whatever version you are using will a good things, as at least the solution seem windows specific.

You as OP (Original Poster) can always modify the tile, editing "first post", as you can add maybe when problem is solved a [Solved] tag or maybe [Workaround] or similar tags, that are not "standardized" yet but at least for [Solved] there is some agreement between moderators.

And maybe if the problem is confirmed in some other OS version, delete the Win10 "indication".

I'm not a moderator, so it is a "simple user advice", Full info ass you could see are advised by moderators.

Thanks for participating and Regards.

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: [Workaround] Not Responding after Splash Screen Win 10

Post by adrianinsaval »

uwe had no issues on windows 11 so it seems to be a qt bug specific to windows 10, anybody knows if it is in the qt tracker?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:13 pm uwe had no issues on windows 11 so it seems to be a qt bug specific to windows 10, anybody knows if it is in the qt tracker?
Much more likely to be qt interacting with a driver issue than a Windows version issue.

Gene
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I don't know about that, if it was graphics driver I would expect it to fail with a single monitor too and nobody on windows 10 has reported to get this working yet (but many have reported failure). If I'm not mistaken someone was already asked to try disabling hardware opengl and it didn't make a difference, would be nice if OP could confirm this
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

:D
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
CaesarO

Post by CaesarO »

I'm having the same issue in Windows 11 with 3 monitors. Splash screen loads on my main, if I close FreeCAD in another monitor, upon relaunching, it stops responding after the splash screen. One way to fix it is to change my main monitor in Display settings to the monitor I last closed FreeCAD on, or in Registry to change Position to 0, 0 so it launches on my main screen again.