FreeCad forces me to save a file when a .step file is loaded.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: FreeCad forces me to save a file when a .step file is loaded.

Post by easyw-fc »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:07 pmWhich posts?
the ones related to FC inport/export settings
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

That should be the standard preset offered in case of a new 'clear' installation that would help in the best interoperability with other CADs
git commit bc1baa6808
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Zolko wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:24 pm
easyw-fc wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:07 am That should be the standard preset
I disagree : invisible objects shouldn't be exported in a STEP file by default.
But these default values already have been implemented in July. The default values we are talking about now are the default import settings.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

wmayer wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:55 pm
Zolko wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:24 pm invisible objects shouldn't be exported in a STEP file by default.
But these default values already have been implemented in July.
ah, didn't know (I don't export STEP files every day) but I think it was a bad idea
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Zolko wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:05 pm
wmayer wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:55 pm
Zolko wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:24 pm invisible objects shouldn't be exported in a STEP file by default.
But these default values already have been implemented in July.
ah, didn't know (I don't export STEP files every day) but I think it was a bad idea
Well, we are talking about default values for a newly installed FreeCAD version. Everybody is free to adjust them to their liking.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

easyw-fc wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:39 pm
leoheck wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:41 pm
easyw-fc wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:09 pm this will break each automation exporting script, and it will add an extra step in the exporting process ...
the dialog, if added, at least should be optionally
In my opinion, it will not break anything. The same window could have the options already for everything. They can be also the same tabs as we have in the settings view. The user can use the default preset/settings or change them at that moment if needed.
it will break any automatic script...
think i.e. to the scripts to generate the 3d libraries of kicad... the scripts when running will generate hundred of STEP models, exporting the 3d object within a python call... these scripts, ATM, will automatically build all the models without the need to human interaction and this in fact it is done with a CI on a server... having to ask user's action on each exporting will simply break the process.
If it is going to break those scripts it is indeed a bad idea. But they won't break anything if it is implemented right?

The functionality to the end user is this:

You click Export, somewhere, or run the Export function as you do.
The function will present a window to tell the file type and the path if it runs with GUI. Does your CI use GUI? Why?
Also, a list of tabs with preferences for each extension that you can Customize At that Time If you want should be in the same window.
This list of tabs could (should) be reused from the Settings Page to start displaying the Default/Current user's settings.
The Export Diaload has just 2 buttons, Ok and Cancel.
This is not going to change anything about what is in use.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

leoheck wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:46 pm If it is going to break those scripts it is indeed a bad idea. But they won't break anything if it is implemented right?

The functionality to the end user is this:

You click Export, somewhere, or run the Export function as you do.
Come on,
you say: "You click Export" but the code is running automatically by a script, there is no user intervention apart a continuous integration.
Forcing the dialog to prompt at each call to export a STEP file, will require a human action, breaking the building.

The Export Diaload has just 2 buttons, Ok and Cancel.
You never tried to export a file by code, did you?
Does your CI use GUI? Why?
because it is needed by some requirements in exporting... but you can read the code at kicad 3d libraries if you want to have a better understanding.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

The code can run automatically by scripts on the command line or in the GUI. Which one do you do?

I am proposing to keep the settings close to the exporting dialog, not having a new dialog changing the current flow. But for the end user, not for the Robot.

The robot can still export the same way.

The user should be presented with the Exporting settings that can be configured At the Exporting time.

It should behave like when you are Leaving Home.

You can write the address you are going in your Wall. But it happens that sometimes you are not going to Work. And then the Address changes.
So you don't have to wipe the wall and paint another address over it.

You can choose the address At That Time. And not only the address. The transportation method too.

If you are telling me the code is so messed up that this is not even possible to dream about. Then there is a big problem here.
But even if the code is not easy to change, changing this behavior to keep exporting settings close to the time when you are exporting (Like Any Other Problem In the World does) should not destroy the possibility of using CI or command line or any automation. This should work, always.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

leoheck wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:21 pm If you are telling me the code is so messed up that this is not even possible to dream about. Then there is a big problem here.
You see problems all around but you miss the big one...get a mirror and look at it :D
You spend more time in fantasy "solutions" instead of read and understanding:
easyw-fc wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:09 pm
But the choices about the export have to be made while exporting something.
this will break each automation exporting script, and it will add an extra step in the exporting process ...
the dialog, if added, at least should be optionally
If you instead of whining had spent some time on learning FreeCAD, you would have discovered that DXF export dialog can be set to optionally open the dialog when exporting... That was what I meant a few days ago, before your fanciful visions.
First checkbox: Show this dialog when importing and exporting

https://wiki.freecad.org/Import_Export_Preferences

But I know you're faster at talking instead of reading ...

Still I don't consider this checkbox option very useful... no one has asked it before since FC started and I don't see the issue in setting the export options manually one time ... I really cannot think a need to change those when the user has decided his/her environment.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

and an other user case, against this annoying option...
can you image loading a kicad board using kicadStepUp, that is collecting hundred or even thousand STEP models to assembly the kicad pcb in FreeCAD...
following your 'vision' the user should just confirm each (thousand times) automatic importing manually...

I remember there were a user that was upset by the need to confirm to interact with the sw in importing models... ATM I don't rememer which one was... Oh no... I remember... that was you :lol:
leoheck wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:44 pm FreeCad constantly asks for saving the .FCStd file when I want to just open a .step file.

Most of the time, just to visualize it. Sometimes just to do something briefly on that .step file like changing the color or its orientation using (KicadStepUp, for instance). And then I will export it again without having to create a .FCStd file.

This behavior is pretty annoying. Users know that they have to save the file if they want.