Challenges?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Re: Challenges?

Post by thomas-neemann »

+1

How long did it take?
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Here another solution. I am convinced that with this solution you can be the fastest, but I am lucky. i do not live in a hurry.
I think it is strange that the 2mm for the Pad is the value for the Z-direction and not for the direction of the Reference line
Attachments
challenge-willem.FCStd
(38.34 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

Willem wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:05 pm ...
thanks for the cooperation. the solution is geometric like some other solutions. how long did it take?

Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Willem wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:05 pm Here another solution. I am convinced that with this solution you can be the fastest, but I am lucky. i do not live in a hurry.
I think it is strange that the 2mm for the Pad is the value for the Z-direction and not for the direction of the Reference line

Edit: The Pad has a function "Length along sketch normal" that can be switched "on" and "off", I have never used it and did not notice it before
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Thomas, as I said before "I do not live in a hurry" it is "Freitag abend¨ so it took 2 bottles of beer to find the solution. But I am still convinced that knowing the solution you can make a very fast time. Have a good weekend
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

Willem wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:31 pm ...
yes I agree with you

edwilliams16
Veteran

Post by edwilliams16 »

Willem wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:05 pm Here another solution. I am convinced that with this solution you can be the fastest, but I am lucky. i do not live in a hurry.
I believe your solution and mine actually create the desired object, with the additional material actually tangential to the cylinder - which several others did not. In order for the newly created flat face to be tangential to the cylinder it has to meet the cylinder in a straight line parallel to the cylinder axis. The new material thus has to be an extrusion in the direction of the cylinder axis.
One way to do this is to sketch on the cylinder face and extrude normal to it. To restrict this between the top and bottom of the box, I made excess and cut it away. If there's a cleaner way, I couldn't find it.
Your solution is cleaner, you sketch on the top surface of the cube and then do a tilted extrude parallel to the cylinder axis. You could have used "to first" for the extrude rather than inserting the dimension along the sketch normal. An alternative to creating a sketch for the cylinder axis would have been to attach a datum line to the cylinder face.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Challenge?

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:20 am Mein Freund, es scheint, du hast vergessen, in welchem Unterforum du bist
Sorry, indeed. I have edited my post above.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Speed seems to be important, I did the challenge within 2 minutes and 50 seconds. I also used the suggestion of Ed for Padding to face.
phpBB [video]
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I enlarged the rectangle used for the pocket, which improves parametricity. By changing the MapPath parameter of the DatumPoint you can change the cutting angle.
If the cylinder should touch tangential it can be clearly seen, what Papyblaise said: the touching edge is no longer a line.
Attachments
end_cb2.FCStd
(50.5 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
SnipScreenshot-8c3e98.png
SnipScreenshot-8c3e98.png (12.65 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.