Challenges?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Willem
Veteran

Re: Challenges?

Post by Willem »

Sorry, I did not mind the clock
Attachments
Multitransform.FCStd
(23.52 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Basic_Sketcher_Tutorial
(a bad tutorial, imho)
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

Willem wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:11 pm ...
thanks for the cooperation. I like your solution
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

thomas-neemann wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:56 pm I like your solution
Even if it's parametric ? ;)
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Shalmeneser wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:46 pm (a bad tutorial, imho)
That tutorial was first written for version 0.16. It has been updated several times, but it may not be current for 0.20 and 0.21. Your favorite bits of advice, don't repeat and minimize use of dimensions, have changed somewhat since version 0.16.

Gene
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

Shalmeneser wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:06 pm ...
yes, I have nothing against parametric. my customers mainly want speed

chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

thomas-neemann wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:12 pm yes, I have nothing against parametric. my customers mainly want speed
You are constantly insinuating that these two are contrary. I would say the contrary. It reminds me of an episode in famous software engineer DeMarco's "Peopleware" book (in German "Wien wartet auf Dich!") where a guy has a date at an unknown address. He is late, time is so short, that he cannot afford the time to take out the map to look up the address and the way ...

I wonder what kind of customers you have. They seem to know everything in advance, which usually means that they invest far too much matrial, just to be on the safe side. You have shown here parts made for some heavy machines like bulldozers. Of course the experts know how to do it so "that it is really stable". Take the steel thick enough, dimension it generously and give it to production. This seems fast and cheap. It isn't for two reasons.

1) I know from several companies who frequenly get such plans. When the guys in the production get the plans they often moan that things cannot be produced as they are on the plan. They silently modify the model due to their expertise.
The proper way would be to modify the plans, which means that you wouldn't need highly payed experts in the production.

2) Doing a proper analysis, e.g. FEM could optimize material which could save quite some money. But optimization means either modeling again from scratch or modeling parametric. I have a strong opinion of what is faster.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

chrisb wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:43 pm ...
I can understand all that. the excavator is a series product, there i also see advantages in the parametrics. the winding machines, industrial buildings, stairs, etc. are unique. the customers have roughly doubled the construction times since the introduction of 3d. with freecad you can halve the times again. by using draft and part.

chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

thomas-neemann wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:57 pm the winding machines, industrial buildings, stairs, etc. are unique.
Many of my designs are for singletons. Nevertheless it had always been sensible to make it parametric, because there had always small changes to be made before producing.
the customers have roughly doubled the construction times since the introduction of 3d. with freecad you can halve the times again. by using draft and part.
To me that means that your customers don't know how to use their software:

- In FreeCAD a parametric model takes - rough guess - 10% longer than doing it non parametric. It should be noted, that it is sometimes even faster (consider the effort to create tangents in draft).

- Modeling in one of the professional parametric systems is not slower than modeling in FreeCAD.

So I don't see how Draft can then halve the construction times.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

chrisb wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:31 pm ...
that's the nice thing about freecad, you can use both working methods or even mix them. starting freecad and loading the files is also faster than with all other cad systems, as far as i have seen.
this are also reasons why freecad will become very widespread.