[Solved] Correct Locale not output to clipboard

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Syres
Veteran

[Solved] Correct Locale not output to clipboard

Post by Syres »

On testing a Draft regression I noticed that my usual Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB) had changed to Locale: C/Default (C) not only on myself compiled build but using the AppImage also (I assume this isn't by design). At present I'm running a Git Bisect in order to narrow down the commit that introduced this and I'll report back later today.
Last edited by Syres on Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
openBrain
Veteran

Re: [Regression] Correct Locale not output to clipboard

Post by openBrain »

Syres wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:52 am On testing a Draft regression I noticed that my usual Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB) had changed to Locale: C/Default (C) not only on myself compiled build but using the AppImage also (I assume this isn't by design). At present I'm running a Git Bisect in order to narrow down the commit that introduced this and I'll report back later today.
No need to bisect, I can tell you which commit it is :)

There a new option in preferences below the language selection to specifically use the selected language locale.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

openBrain wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:06 am git commit e3bc06a341f8826b8a07
OK thanks for the info but I really hope this isn't having a side effect in the handling of metres/millimetres etc , see https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=67437
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Syres wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:28 am OK thanks for the info but I really hope this isn't having a side effect in the handling of metres/millimetres etc , see https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=67437
Yes probably it is. One should retry with "Use selected language number format" option enabled in Preferences/General/General. ;)
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

openBrain wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:32 am
Syres wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:28 am OK thanks for the info but I really hope this isn't having a side effect in the handling of metres/millimetres etc , see https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=67437
Yes probably it is. One should retry with "Use selected language number format" option enabled in Preferences/General/General. ;)
I'm really sorry but this IMHO is just not a good move so close to release, instead of the correct Locale I'm now getting Locale: English/United States (en_US) so the list is missing English (UK) or better still allow power users to bypass this in the Parameter Editor.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Syres wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:37 am I'm really sorry but this IMHO is just not a good move so close to release,
I have no clue when is planned the release. Do you ?
For information, the PR is weeks old and (benevolent) contributors have absolutely no control over when a PR is merged.
instead of the correct Locale I'm now getting Locale: English/United States (en_US) so the list is missing English (UK) or better still allow power users to bypass this in the Parameter Editor.
I guess a parameter switch to get "old" behavior should be possible. But it just looks to me as a dirty patch that have not to last...
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

openBrain wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:44 am I have no clue when is planned the release. Do you ?
Nope but we are in feature freeze so I am making an assumption that's it's not months away, I'm just trying to imagine all the UK (and other unlisted countries) users upgrading to 0.20 on release will be bombarding the Help forum with where/why etc.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: [Solved] Correct Locale not output to clipboard

Post by adrianinsaval »

Isn't UK numbering same as US? anyone using dots already shouldn't see a difference. Those of us that used comma probably will, if the bugs are fixed this is a change for the better IMO, being able to choose which one to use independent of OS or FreeCAD language would be ideal for me.
openBrain
Veteran

Re: [Solved] Correct Locale not output to clipboard

Post by openBrain »

"Copy to clipboard" function has been updated so it displays both FC and OS locales.
From rev. 28514