What do Symbols mean

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
docHammer

What do Symbols mean

Post by docHammer »

I am new to FreeCAD. An enormous undertaking, for which I am grateful to the community.

I find it very difficult to get FreeCAD to work properly. I have watched many tutorials and have tried many different techniques to accomplish the same goal (cutting screw holes in a fusion object). They either don't work altogether, or mess up something that was fine before.

Firstly, what do the Red check symbols and the White on Green down arrows in the Model tab of the Combo View mean?

Secondly how do I make the "Graph a DAG"?

Third, Is it possible to cut pockets in a fusion object, or do I have to cut them in each components separately? Can I do it in each component after fusing, or do I have to do it before?

Why doesn't the spacebar always work on selected items to make them visible/invisible?

Appreciate any responses.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24267 +99 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: Branch_0.19.3
Hash: 6530e364184ce05ccff39501e175cf2237e6ee4b
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: What do Symbols mean

Post by Shalmeneser »

docHammer wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:36 pm Firstly, what do the Red check symbols and the White on Green down arrows in the Model tab of the Combo View mean?
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Tree_view#Overlay_icons
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

docHammer wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:36 pm Secondly how do I make the "Graph a DAG"?
DAG_view
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Third, Is it possible to cut pockets in a fusion object, or do I have to cut them in each components separately? Can I do it in each component after fusing, or do I have to do it before?
Minimal working example ?
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

MWE (Minimal Working Example) is a file that show the problem.

You could have different way do things, usually a cut in a fusion is doable, but if a "fusion" is not a fusion or have some error on it, probably FC could nit do the job.

So an example that show what is done wrong is very welcomed.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

The error that it must be a DAG means you have some circular dependency. A depends on B, which depends on A. A cannot be recomputed because B is not yet recomputed and B cannot be recomputed because A cannot be recomputed because B cannot be recomputed because A cannot be recomputed...
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Also which workbench are you using? Some of what you say looks like you might be talking about Part WB but I also suspect you might be using PartDesign WB.

If you are actually modelling the threads, then there are some tricks you need to consider, like the profile being swept along a helical path must be of a size and shape such that the solid created from the sweep does not intersect itself. You also need to ensure that the path that the profile is to be swept along does not begin at the same point as a splitter edge in a cylinder begins.
docHammer

Post by docHammer »

Thanks for all the help.

When I referred to screw holes, I meant smooth cylindrical holes. I tried many different techniques using the "Parts Design" workbench. Using the pocket tool always distorted the entire object. Then I tried unfusing the object, then using the the "Part" wb and did a boolean subtract of a cylinder, which worked for one. When I tried to use the array or pattern tools the first hole disappeared and there were no new ones, (if I tried to cut the holes before creating the array or after) I finally cut each hole individually in each component using the "Part" wb.

Attached is the completed file. Sorry l didn't save and send the messed up ones.
Attachments
NesproUCHolder4Holes 3mm.FCStd
(58.19 KiB) Downloaded 41 times