Struggling with Assembling My Parts

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ISwearImCool

Struggling with Assembling My Parts

Post by ISwearImCool »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24366 (Git)
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.9.7
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: C/Default (C)

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 7.59.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 7.59.46 AM.png (446.85 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
I am trying to learn how to use assemblies and assembly 3 is the one I've done the best at (Assembly 4 seems better for round parts. I was having so much trouble nailing the orientations. You can see the residual LCSs in the file from my attempts to use Assembly 4. lol), but I'm still just running into errors that I do not understand. My background in cad software is mostly Sketchup with a little CADWORK so I'm very much a beginner user.

Where I want to get to is being able to parametrically design timber structures with flexible assemblies that can adapt to changes in the overall values and update themselves. I see so much potential in this software. I have been able to make parts in it that I could never have made in sketchup.

However, where I'm at is I can only get my parts to align on one or two planes before I run into issues.

I've included the file but this is what I'm aiming at making here if it's not obvious from the jumble of parts that I can't figure out how to assemble.
Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 8.12.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 8.12.58 AM.png (293.02 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
I also have a couple of questions about what I want to do even being possible. In CADWORK there is this feature that you can have predesigned tenons with their spec and offsets and haunches predone and then you can add them to the part and they will automatically cut mortises into the plates they are going into. This allows you to move parts around the drawing without having to recut your mortises all the time. It's really nice for the flexibility and keeping errors down as the parts drawings that get made are always up to date and the computer makes fewer mistakes than humans do while drafting. It even allows for things like tolerances, say like a cm extra in the mortise's z axis to prevent the tenon from ever bottoming out. I would imagine people would do something similar with their fasteners in mechanical engineering so I'm guessing it's possible. I just don't know how to search out instructions on how to do it.

For sketchup 2017 and earlier there is this plugin called TF rubies that does something similar though not quite as automated. I don't know if any of you are familiar with it but it's incredibly powerful for free software. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83BASsys4x4 *Note the way that the mortise isn't cut until the parts drawing is calculated. It's so handy and flexible.

Also, is it possible to generate something like sketchup's components automatically (I think links are the equivalent or maybe clones are)? Like what I mean is that in wood working, often the number of a component is determined by the length. So say you are making a fence or a railing, the number of uprights will be determined by minimum space between them, width of the part and the length of the overall assembly. Do any of you do something similar in your workflow but automatically? I have a spreadsheet that I use, but it would be nice to be able to do this with the cad software and have it reflected in the drawing.

Thanks for your time and help. I'd really appreciate any pointing me in the right direction or tips on best practices for doing this stuff.

- Will
Attachments
SawHorse Parts.FCStd
(96.6 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
dprojects

Re: Struggling with Assembling My Parts

Post by dprojects »

ISwearImCool wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:40 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83BASsys4x4
@ISwearImCool This kind of designing level will not be available for a long at FreeCAD. Also it is rather not good idea to use macOS for FreeCAD. However, FreeCAD allows for many beautiful things to do. And it is better to focus at those things you really want to do, instead of running everywhere and trying to do everything. There is no software that can do everything.

ISwearImCool wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:40 pm I want to get to is being able to parametrically design timber structures with flexible assemblies that can adapt to changes in the overall values and update themselves.
You can look at fully parametric examples to see how to make parametric things. Also you can look at fixture examples to see how quickly replace things with more detailed ones. What is already possible to do at Woodworking workbench you can see at: Woodworking workbench documentation

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking