Sheet Metal Workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:33 am So it could already be prepared now. It would work on slight changes automatically where we now have quite a workflow. If TNP improvements are included it would become stable all by itself.
Any RT Link branch hackers want to try to get SheetMetal working with Link Branch?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:34 am Any RT Link branch hackers want to try to get SheetMetal working with Link Branch?
Whenever I use SheetMetal with Link Branch it behaves as expected. I tried a few objects just a minute ago with version 2022.01.11 with no problem. But I'm just a user and no hacker...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have these two models of a bracket.
  • klammerMirror.fcstd is what it's all about. Laying flat using SheetMetal workbench fails with the mirror, but works fine with the last feature before the mirror.

Report view says Error Analysis: Sheet thickness invalid for this face! at Face24
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-05 um 23.16.29.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-05 um 23.16.29.png (31.73 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
    klammerMirror.fcstd
    (57.23 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
  • If I make the mirror manually by cloning the sketch and creating the corresponding pad, then laying flat works as expected.
    klammerClone.fcstd
    (74.51 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.27936 (Git)
Build type: Release
Python 3.9.10, Qt 5.12.9, Coin 4.0.0, OCC 7.5.3
Locale: C/Default (C)
Installed mods: 
  * FC_SU
  * DynamicData 2.45.0
  * FeedsAndSpeeds-master
  * fcgear
  * A2plus 0.4.54b
  * fasteners
  * sheetmetal
  * ExplodedAssembly
  * Curves 0.3.0
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

chrisb wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:19 pm but works fine with the last feature before the mirror.
I think the mirror tools are the trouble makers. The paper clip https://wiki.freecadweb.org/SheetMetal_ ... Paper_clip had similar problems.

I would build it like this avoiding mirror features:
Klammer.png
Klammer.png (32.92 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
klammerWithoutMirror.FCStd
(149.96 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
But it doesn't fit your approach to place dimensions well. At least for the middle part.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for the model. There are more to be found in the original topic: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 31#p586226 .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sfgrayson

Post by sfgrayson »

Today I discovered sketch-on-sheetmetal. Currently this name does not indicate what it is or what it does. It got me thinking that it could be beneficial to adopt industry standard terms for functionality. In Solidworks this function is known as a Normal Cut, or cut *normal-to* the material's thickness. Maybe the FreeCAD equivalent would be Normal-Pocket or Normal Hole, considering the sketch must be extruded all the way through the material's thickness.

Just a thought. :D thank you to the devs for their hard work.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

sfgrayson wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:17 pm industry standard terms
I didn't realise that there is an industry standard for naming CAD tools :mrgreen:

I agree, that some names could use improvement...
But as long as a lot of users and devellopers aren't native speakers of 'murican or bri'ish English we have to live with "interesting" named tools. And translations, too.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

To me the name "Sketch on SheetMetal" seems quite natural. Especially as it could be seen as a counterpart to Curves workbench's "Sketch on surface".
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I'm not on the loop with sheet metal workbench but I'll say this, "Sketch on SheetMetal" doesn't communicate a cut to me at all, yeah if you use curves workbench too you might make the association, but out of the blue I wouldn't guess it does the same as the normal cut sfgrayson mentions. I'll add that "perpendicular" would communicate the meaning better to me as I may think of "Normal" as a synonym of common, not sure if that's just me being stupid and/or non native to english.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Heads-up: since Addon Manager is all souped-up now, we don't need SheetMetal's version visible anymore in the dropdown workbench menu. Therefore I'm submitting this PR https://github.com/shaise/FreeCAD_SheetMetal/pull/226 to remove it
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs