Sheet Metal Workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
User avatar
FBXL5
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:45 pm

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by FBXL5 »

rynn wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:30 pm But I also see no use to change the name. Anyone who uses freecad should be able to do this abstraction.
I second that. I use it to create patterns for leather tool-bags.
LarryWoestman
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:56 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by LarryWoestman »

I see nothing wrong with leaving the name the way it is, but "Sheet Folding" also came to mind as a possible name.
mudrat
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:34 pm

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by mudrat »

Perhaps call it sheetmaterial? :D
chrisb
Veteran
Posts: 43699
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by chrisb »

SheetMetal is a well established name now, especially for FreeCAD's workbench. The internet and its search engines will do the rest.

Trying to put it all in one name will not succeed anyway, because it will be too generic to say anything.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
User avatar
Kunda1
Veteran
Posts: 12733
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:45 am SheetMetal is a well established name now, especially for FreeCAD's workbench. The internet and its search engines will do the rest.
In that case, lets perhaps add something to the package.xml (metadata) and also the README (+ other documentation) illustrating that the workbench can be used for different mediums beside sheetmetal. I'll see if I can get some folk to write some documentation on their workflow using these other materials. Specifically how the compensate/adapt their approach to the workbench due to the material.
FBXL5 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:43 pm I use it to create patterns for leather tool-bags.
@FBXL5 Perhaps if it merits discussion, would you be open to sharing (in a new thread) your workflow with any nuances/adjustments for working with leather?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
User avatar
FBXL5
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:45 pm

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by FBXL5 »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:31 am @FBXL5 Perhaps if it merits discussion, would you be open to sharing (in a new thread) your workflow with any nuances/adjustments for working with leather?
I don't know if I can show any kind of workflow. I stop the design part at 80 % and the remaining 20 % are modelled on the item.
I set the k-factor to 0.5; in fact I don't care about the factor, because you can pull and push leather into place if it is out of tolerance.

But I'll think about it...
kevinz
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Another Sheet Metal WB question

Post by kevinz »

Since some folks interested in the Sheet Metal Workbench are just monitoring this thread (all 555 entries on it!), I'd like to point out another Sheet Metal Workbench question, that also involves the TechDraw Workbench, at Sheet metal and TechDraw WBs: Updating procedure?.

Thanks for taking a look at it.

-Kevin
User avatar
Kunda1
Veteran
Posts: 12733
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by Kunda1 »

How can we make the unfold tool parametric?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
User avatar
FBXL5
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:45 pm

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by FBXL5 »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:40 am How can we make the unfold tool parametric?
If I understand it right, the unfold solid needs to "remember" the face that was selected to start the unfolding calculation and so it depends on a consistent naming. And again the Topo Naming Problem...
I bet once the TNP is solved it will be easy to add an option to update the unfold object automatically. Am I right?
chrisb
Veteran
Posts: 43699
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by chrisb »

So it could already be prepared now. It would work on slight changes automatically where we now have quite a workflow. If TNP improvements are included it would become stable all by itself.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Post Reply