Sheet Metal Workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rmu

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by rmu »

I updated the PR to include a "length specification" property. Not 100% sure how to deal with "Outer Sharp" and "Inner Sharp" and the "base" flange length. Would appreciate it if somebody could test it.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

sfgrayson wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:34 pm
rmu wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:52 pm It seems more naturally to me to specify the radius in some parameter, and specify flange lengths ...
I completely agree. I hope that by putting some terms out there, and explaining how things are handled in other CAD, as well information on how this software is used in the industry, we can interest people and developers in implementing some of the things we'd like to see. :D
I like to define a radius and a leg length (I'm sitll not convinced that leg length is a correct term).
It is handy if you need the flat strip to have a certain length whatever radius you choose.

I think this is the designers' way to model.

The flange length approach is more for the manufacturer, but this can easily be extracted from a drawing.

For me it is no improvement to use the flange length with this tool.

I see a need for proper terms for sheet metal related task here, too. Feel free to further improve the descriptions of mainly non natives.

But I think it's less important to know how other programs handle things, unless you want to make FC a copy of program XY.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

rmu wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:11 am I updated the PR to include a "length specification" property. Not 100% sure how to deal with "Outer Sharp" and "Inner Sharp" and the "base" flange length. Would appreciate it if somebody could test it.
When will it be available via the Addon-Manager?
rmu

Post by rmu »

FBXL5 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:56 pm
rmu wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:11 am I updated the PR to include a "length specification" property. Not 100% sure how to deal with "Outer Sharp" and "Inner Sharp" and the "base" flange length. Would appreciate it if somebody could test it.
When will it be available via the Addon-Manager?
I think Shai Seger merged it already.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

rmu wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:21 pm
FBXL5 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:56 pm When will it be available via the Addon-Manager?
I think Shai Seger merged it already.
Therefore it should available right now, just re-update the workbench via the addon manager
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

rmu wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:11 am Would appreciate it if somebody could test it.
Kunda1 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:40 pm Therefore it should available right now, just re-update the workbench via the addon manager
It is available now.

Quick test gives different length for each length specification at 90°. I'll dig deeper when I find the time to update the wiki page.

I was afraid that the tool would change drastically, but now looking at the updated version I must say that I like how the new options were integrated.
rmu

Post by rmu »

FBXL5 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:23 pm It is available now.

Quick test gives different length for each length specification at 90°. I'll dig deeper when I find the time to update the wiki page.

I was afraid that the tool would change drastically, but now looking at the updated version I must say that I like how the new options were integrated.
This feature has to be revisited in the future I think. I'm not sure if all the permutations of "Bend Type" and "Length Spec" make that much sense. E.g. with "Outer Sharp", the flange length is from the outer sharp point, but the length of the base is not.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

At the bottom of SheetMetal_Examples you can find this image now (plus a wee description):
LengthSpec.png
LengthSpec.png (66.48 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
Side view of four 120° flanges with default length (10 mm) and different Length Spec values.
rmu

Post by rmu »

FBXL5 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:19 pm At the bottom of SheetMetal_Examples you can find this image now (plus a wee description):
Just had I look if I needed to document something onyl to find out that everything is done already. Thank you very much!
blue0cean

Post by blue0cean »

hello one question

With the Link Branch version of Realthunder, no unfold sketch is created when unfolding and the following error message appears
15:46:37 traceback (last call last):
Accept file "C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\sheetmetal\SheetMetalUnfolder.py", line 2898
grp1 = TechDraw.projectEx(s,norm)
<class 'AttributeError'>: Module 'TechDraw' has no attribute 'projectEx'

Sheet metal version V0.2.58

Here is the link stage version:

Code: Select all

Operating system: Windows 10 version 2009
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 2022.1021.26244 +5249 (Git)
Build Type: Release
Branch: LinkDaily
Hash: d307b5c936403e8dca3f24b5c1e64bd16c88b28d
Python version: 3.8.10