Bug submission guidelines

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Traceback = bug ?

Post by chrisb »

hmk wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:28 pm However, I am not sure if it will survived the scrutiny of Wiki editors...
You edited it, so you are already one of them :) .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
DrC

Re: Bug submission guidelines

Post by DrC »

Hmm ...

Quote: Bugs reported on the forum can be easily missed so post them there.

Bugs posted there seem to stop with "Where's the forum thread".

I am in awe of what you guys and gals do, and I appreciate the need to separate rtfm issues from coding errors and UI design faults, but taking a holistic system view they are all bugs.

Would a front end inviting the victim to categorise the problem as needing a change to the instruction manual, the screen handling or the geometry code help? The first is where users can help one another, the second where opinions may vary, and the third is for the gurus. Perhaps HELP needed, IDEAS ofered, and BROKEN?

What do other users having problems think? My personal frustration is that I only come across issues when I'm trying to do something that was uppermost in my mind until the issue came up. I don't even know how to go about looking for bugs; they are an interruption, to be reported while I can remember how they happened, circumvented to solve my problem a different way to be shared later if my solution seems useful or raised, with other users in a help forum if it's a show stopper.

But what DO other users think?

DrC
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you look at the huge number of so called bugs here which actually turned out to be something of
- it doesn’t work like in program xyz
- I have expected something else
- handling is cumbersome, program is unusable :cry: ... oh that’s how it should be done :D
you will see that there is a huge grey zone between bugs and help requests.

Furthermore the errors are often very well prepared in the forum so that it is easier for the developers to implement a solution.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kcleung

Post by kcleung »

Is there another tracker for feature enhancement? If so, can you please post the link?

Thx!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

kcleung wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:59 am Is there another tracker for feature enhancement? If so, can you please post the link?
It's the same tracker - and the same process: Discuss your ideas in Open discussion forum before creating a ticket. Feature requests are to be classified as such in the tracker.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Step 3 of the first post now says: 3. Discuss the problem on the Help forum first!