Struggling with DAG ('nearly' newbie)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
doxley

Struggling with DAG ('nearly' newbie)

Post by doxley »

I am trying to develop an assembly (Assembly 4) with a top level frame (base for a furniture wall shelf) and inserts (additional shelves, etc.). I have gotten into an issue where I've obviously broken the DAG requirements so if I save the package and attempt to reload it, I generate the dreaded 'graph must be a DAG' message. The idea was for the master assembly to design the frame and specify a set of LCS origins to be used to connect later parts.

I've chased this for quite a while and am guessing that I've committed an error in one or more of three places:
  • I have an unconnected Origin (visible in DAG view)
  • I have some sort of loop in variable references though I think I have all variables defined at top level
  • I've done something in the sequencing of Pad operations caused by changing the design as I go
I think I've seen all the forum and doc entries in the area and am searching to understand
  • How do find/identify DAG problems as early as possible (I use both the DAG view and Dependency Graph)
  • Is there guidance for avoiding the problem in the first place
  • How to correct a problem once found (it seems that it is possible to create a problem in the development history such that it is difficult/impossible to unwind without redeveloping the entire structure)
I would imagine that many capable designers, but less mathematically inclined users could really get tangled up here. I certainly have.

I would much appreciate it if someone can show me were I have gone astray in my model, but I'd be even more appreciative of guidance on how to stay out of the soup in the first place.

I'm running a recent (but probably not quite latest) daily build:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 0a42189173b9d50a2849d9b2aa79c110a7565c89
Python version: 3.8.5
Qt version: 5.12.8
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)