HowTo: Dynamic length "to boundary"

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Smiling_user

HowTo: Dynamic length "to boundary"

Post by Smiling_user »

Question abut PartDesign and A2Plus.

What to do if I need to make parametrized model, where the length of beams, rods, profiles - changes together with guidelines?
Is there an easy way?

would be great, if A2Plus allowed to "unlock" certain dimensions of imported parts - for auto-adjustment.
Attachments
HowTo_Dynamic length_to boundary_Straight.FCStd
(26.45 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Body.FCStd
(14.84 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Bance
Veteran

Re: HowTo: Dynamic length "to boundary"

Post by Bance »

Smiling_user

Post by Smiling_user »

Bance, this is what i already know. But now looking for another, more click-able solution.
to avoid using formulas.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Maybe Dynamic Data?

Dynamic Data Workbench
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

BoundBox in Lattice Wb. maybe could help you.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (15.88 KiB) Viewed 1830 times
Smiling_user

Post by Smiling_user »

DrMarco, Bance...
It is clear for me that:
1. GOTO Guides.FCStd.Sketch.Constrains -> make a reference constraint for each size (eg. 20 sizes)
2. DynamicData or Spreadsheet -> Get data from these constrains (eg. 20 reference constraints )
3. make a file-per-size or file with multiple details one-per-size with needed detail for each size (eg. 20 details - 20 full-sycle operations, not just "clicks")
4. Import details to assembly in Guides with A2P respectively from files or from one file (one-at-a-time) (eg. 20 imports)
// or maybe even create multiple complex bodies in the same file with guides.
per 20 details - min=60 / max=80 full-cycle operations

This is clear.

But what I would like to have, is:

1. Make a "template-file" with detail, mark fixed and changeable sizes (1 operation)
2. Make an Assembly file with guides (Sketch / Draft) and set guides to the fixed position as an "initial object" (eg. 20 sizes)
3. Import multiple details from the same "template-file" or just make copies in the same file of assembly (eg. 20 sizes)
4. Constrain each detail to the guides: the changeable size: vetex-to-vertex/vertex-to-edge/vertex to line (eg. 20 sizes)
=> get the size adapted to the guide line.
Then just export to the Tech draw and get a spreadsheet of detail - size.
per 20 details - max 60 full-cycle operations, min - 40 operations+20 clicks

The difference per 20 details is min 20, max 40 full-cycle operations.

Counting each operation at average a minute: this job is done either in min=30 or in max=80+ minutes
Actually 30-40 minutes ot 1.5-2 hours.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

I do not know the intended workflow. But how about creating an array with oversized elements and then using Part_Cut?

Maybe this is an interesting example to study:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=49165
Gregory son of Carl

Post by Gregory son of Carl »

Link objects might work here. They can update all files in one refresh and be used to create dynamic links through shape binders.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Assembly forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Smiling_user

Post by Smiling_user »

Gregory son of Carl wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:28 pm Link objects might work here. They can update all files in one refresh and be used to create dynamic links through shape binders.
A. Link objects ? Where possible to find some explanatory?

B. This seems to be the MAIN QUESTION over all my questions asked:
Which types of object, inter-object relations concepts are implemented/ available in FreeCAD? What are properties of them?
And where to look for descriptions?

C. May I ask here for a full list of conceptional objects and they're external/inter-object properties here?

What I forsee to prepare: for example:
SketcherObject [2D]: position[ external ], Constraints[ internal]
Constraints [dimensions, geometry relations] ::= <Type>+<?Alias>
Type ::= <Set> or <Get>
Set ::= <value>/(<formula>, <formula as reference>, <calculation of references>)
Reference ::= <to constraints in same sketch> / <constraints/properties in another object>/<values in SpreadSheet/DynamicData>
Get(reference regimen) ::= <> // makes the value available to reference, but not making it fixed

More: (what already know)
PartDesign: BodyContainer::= <Sketch>|<Pad>|<Sweep>|<Loft>|<Chamfer>|<boolean>|<DatumObject>|ShapeBinder|SubShapeBinder
//Relational properties -????
Part : PartContainer: <Sketch>|<Extrude>|<BasicShape>|<Boolean>
//Relational properties -????
Draft::= ????
Arch::= ???
Other ????

And also about mentioned objects - I can not clearly understand they're properties (or was underskilled to find)
For example where to find the description of what is internal difference of
* - independent object
* - dependent copy
* - cross-reference?

Who may help?

Just now tried to make a macro, to:
-- position a certain sketch in DatumPlane at the end of Edge(in a sketch),
-- and then sweep it at selected edge.
- did not manage to, and do not know how to do. (yes this is my first try of making a macro)

Finally is there a function in FC to trim an object by plane? - instead of making a pocket at the end.

// what is the most unclear thing about FC is the certain approach to doing things.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Else What I'd like to have: prepare a Guide not only with lines, but including lines and planes.
And to "convert" each line to a profile of choice between planes, which are at the ends of edge or crossing it.
Then workflow would look like:
1. prepare a "mesh"/model of lines and planes
2. click [FillConstruction]
3. Select of type::= <Profiles>|<sketch>|<surface>|<body> => [Profile] => profile selection poposUp (see WB-DODO)
4. Select edge -> select profile sketch -> set dimensions -> set centering -> [Enter]
=> => the selected Edge gets "converted" to profile, constrained by Planes crossing it.

5. Finally "Possibility of dream" : "explode" the model to separate details(in the same or in separate files), each auto-put to the Tech draw, with dimensions and amount. Or equally acceptable - "explode" to a set of DXF files.