The "right" way to make your drawings?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
JesperKP

The "right" way to make your drawings?

Post by JesperKP »

FreeCAD details:
    Word size of OS: 64-bit
    Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
    Version: 0.18.4.
    Build type: Release
    Python version: 3.8.2
    Qt version: 5.12.8
    Coin version: 4.0.0
    OCC version: 7.3.0
    Locale: English/United States (en_US)

Having been away from the CAD part since AutoCad 2.62 I am starting all over with learning FreeCAD for my personal CAD/CAM usage. The simple things I sort of grasp, but when it comes to using it to develop simple object is beyond me, when it comes to making it parametric.

As an example I want to make a table (in my case a bench drill table) so I want to be able to easily alter things to get an idea of what is the best option.

I can easily do constraint references to each other and not least to the spreadsheet but I quickly run into several challenges.

I have a range of different steel profiles drawn that I put in a FreeCAD file where I then copy the bodies to my work file.
In my work file I for instance use a hollow square tubing and carbon copy it to my table "Legs" sketch calculating its position using data from my spreadsheet. This part works fine.

But if I try to mirror either using the single function mirror command or the multi transform command I just get a "One transform shape does not intersect support - transformation failed".

I also tried doing it in the sketch, but I had missed that FreeCAD does not allow to pad multiple solids in one sketch so that is a not an option.

My thought is that I would prefer not to have to figure out all measurements on paper and then transfer a final design (that I have to manually adjust on many constraints if size / position and so on changes.

Does FreeCAD allow for this concept?

A quick question on users of FreeCAD working together - are there any kind of "mentor" arrangements where someone who know FreeCAD takes a number of us "not so knowing" under their wing and help getting us starting with it? I see this under other software and it seems to be a great idea.

Best regards
JesperKP
Last edited by JesperKP on Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: The "right" way to make your drawings?

Post by TheMarkster »

Part workbench does not have the single solid limitation. You can use sketches in it just like in Part Design except you have to go to the Sketcher workbench and create the sketches there. The similar operation to Pad is Extrude. There is a mirror tool there, and also you can use Draft workbench arrays with Part workbench objects.

Another option is since this is a table (presumably with a top that the legs will connect to) you could change the order of operations such that the top is made first, then the legs will attach to it as a single contiguous structure each step of the way.

I know of no mentoring concept in FreeCAD, but I think you will find the help board is quite active and responsive. To get exact answers to specific questions, post your file and a screenshot. These can be easily attached by dragging and dropping to the form where you type in your messages.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Can you upload your file? I would like to have a look at it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

Partdesign need to do one single solid at each body
But in Part or Draft you can do linear array or miror whith separat solid (for 4 legs)
some time I coach a neewbee for several day in thit forum , or in private conversation
JesperKP

Post by JesperKP »

chrisb wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:22 am Can you upload your file? I would like to have a look at it.
You can get the file here - just a massively simple file containing a spreadsheet with dimensions for whatever table I am making.

A sketch with the table leg profile (and another spreadsheet with a materiel thickness so i can easily change it)

And finally a single extruded leg.

I have yet to try using the suggestions here of using the Part workbench for accomplishing the assembly instead of doing it in Part Design (unfortunately work takes up a lot of my time with 12 hour night shift's).

Best regards
Jesper K. Pedersen
Attachments
Drill Stand.FCStd
(17.15 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

JesperKP wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:53 pm You can get the file here
What do you mean by "here"?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
JesperKP

Post by JesperKP »

chrisb wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:59 pm
JesperKP wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:53 pm You can get the file here
What do you mean by "here"?
I forgot to attach the file. I apologize.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

You can use 2 ways (minimum)
-use Draft and inform X and Y (the green one)
- Do the plate of the table (or a frame) and use multitransform in ¨Partdesign
Attachments
Drilling table.PNG
Drilling table.PNG (28.35 KiB) Viewed 582 times
drilling table.FCStd
(41.59 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
JesperKP

Post by JesperKP »

papyblaise wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:50 am You can use 2 ways (minimum)
-use Draft and inform X and Y (the green one)
- Do the plate of the table (or a frame) and use multitransform in ¨Partdesign
I have tried several different ways to do it but I feel like I run into either bugs or not understanding some of the basics principles behind FreeCad's way of doing things.

If I for instance mirror the legs, the attach a sketch to the side of a leg to create the side braces (going from leg to leg) I suddenly have a doubling of legs (on top of each other). If I attach a sketch to the side of a copied leg, draw a simple constrained square and try to pad that sketch, it says I have multiple solid objects and FreeCad are not able to pad multiple solids.

I have watched a lot of "getting started" videos on youtube and read a lot on the freecad documentation site but I feel like the learning curve seems beyond me.

I also run into the issue of not all value entries can be referenced to for instance a spreadsheet or elsewhere in the cad file (an example is in the Part workbench where Extrude can not reference a spreadsheet with respect to length)

I am to the point where I would greatly appreciate (perhaps even by donation to who can make a quick "tutorial" on making this style of table - and allow me to ask all silly kinds of questions to it).

(I did follow tutorials like the "Freecad tutorial - Product design #016 - Coffee table" on youtube but due to it using the draft I can not access the spreadsheet from there.

In my example I would like the spreadsheet to be able to control several parameters of making the table like width, depth, height, height of the braces between the legs.

I do apologize for this "rambling" - not that it is an excuse but I am born with aspergers syndrome and I get easily overwhelmed with details.

Thank you
JesperKP

This is not "just" to make a table, but to get to grips with how FreeCad works.
Attachments
table.png
table.png (645.05 KiB) Viewed 516 times
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

start by making simple objects without a spreadsheet, it's already complicated enough
Many tutorials on youtube are obsolete, it is better to follow Wiki tutorials
For your table: make the top frame first, and add a leg, then the 4 with multitransform
if you do one then copy for 2 then copy for 4 you will have 1 + 2 +4