Bug Reports for v0.19

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Smiling_user

Bug Reports for v0.19

Post by Smiling_user »

Not shure ofr the place to post bugs...

Bug: Formulas stopped accepting minus and Plus.

Functionality: List of Aliases inside Sketcher updates only after close-open. - the it is possible to refer to the Alias in the same sketch.

PartDesign:
Bug? :
Datum Plane: when defining offsets: I expect that
changing x will move along X - Left - Right
changing y will move along Y
changing z will move along Z - rize / decrease
But i works differrent.

Functionality:
And one more: If I select a line or ShapeBinder-line to create DatumPlane,
I expect two main options: plane normal to line(Also at the edge), plane through the line. But the last seems not to be present.

OS: Windows 7 SP 1 (6.1) 64-bit / Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
0.19.22130 (Git) / Release Branch: master
Hash: dc65b055e5143a7d7349520da466d4d722df57e8
Python version: 3.6.8 / Qt version: 5.12.1 / Coin version: 4.0.0a / OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

And also
Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS (ubuntu:GNOME/ubuntu) / 64-bit
FreeCAD: 64-bit 0.19. / Release / Branch: unknown (daily)
Hash: 0cf8279f00017ed2913e0c17beda77c733f98350
Python version: 3.6.9 / Qt version: 5.9.5 / Coin version: 4.0.0a / OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

On 20200804 Added Problems/questions with Cut Operations (PartDesign/Part): https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49209
Last edited by Smiling_user on Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: Release notes for v0.19

Post by uwestoehr »

Smiling_user wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:20 pm Not shure ofr the place to post bugs...
Many thanks for testing! This is very welcome because we want to release not so far away in time.

However, this thread is about the release notes.

Could you please open a new thread in the "Help on using FreeCAD" forum section: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewforum.php?f=3
for every issue.

To have a thread for every issue is important that we can keep the overview (If a bug is confirmed we create a bug database entry and reference the thread).

thanks and regards
Uwe
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Smiling_user wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:20 pm Not shure ofr the place to post bugs...
:o :o Not in the release notes for sure. :roll:
Smiling_user

Post by Smiling_user »

Goodafternoon.
Have started a new topick, where will collect ideas about general improvements for workflow:
"Some ideas on "feature requests" and GUI-workflow improvements."
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 13#p420913
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Bug Reports for v0.19

Post by chrisb »

I have split this from the Release Notes topic and moved to Help forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Functionality: List of Aliases inside Sketcher updates only after close-open. - the it is possible to refer to the Alias in the same sketch.
Please attach an example file and the steps needed to reproduce. Also, give what your expectation is and what you are seeing instead.

When I create a sketch and add named constraints I'm able to see the new constraints in the sketch properties without need to close and reopen the sketch. I'm also able to use + and - in the formulas.

Or do you mean spreadsheets? We usually refer to aliases in the spreadsheet and constraints in the sketcher.
Smiling_user

Post by Smiling_user »

Smiling_user wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:20 pm Smiling_user:
Not sure of the place to post bugs...
TheMarkster wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:56 pm 1. Please attach an example file and the steps needed to reproduce.
2. Also, give what your expectation is and what you are seeing instead.
When I create a sketch and add named constraints I'm able to see the new constraints in the sketch properties without need to close and reopen the sketch. I'm also able to use + and - in the formulas.
3. Or do you mean spreadsheets? We usually refer to aliases in the spreadsheet and constraints in the sketcher.
Nice of your interest.
In my view - the more is the FC connected with real life - the better development goes.
For the real life - in most cases - the speed and usability defines the choice. So the easier(fast and intuitive) is the basics of UI - the more will be users' and programmers attraction.

3. ->
You've understood right: Aliases(/Names)-of-Constraints
1. -> The file is lost, but on my machine (Win7) I regularly face small bugs. I guess these depend on unclear layering of code. Yet I do not know the paradigm of FC code architecture, but the feeling says, that it is not so clear. And probably makes it a nightmare for coders to dig any deeper then the closest interface. Specially in C++ part.
So the general conclusion for FC further development: Refactoring for easy coding and Interface optimisation.

2. ->Usability

a. all needed operations are preloaded and reachable in /<=/ then 2 clicks. The greatest productivity problem of FC - the need to change environments to reach certain operation. - this eats away about the same time as needed for the operation itself.

For example of concept: there are vast of tools (ready done algorithms) with same functionality spread over diff, workbenches: Sketcher/Draft; Part/PartDesign/Arch(BIM)
If all of them get UI unified (single button - multiple usage) - actually implementing function and algorithm overloading (in terms of OOP) - then FC would be better then low end commercial products: by the productivity increase and simplicity.
For example:
b. Sketcher would need Array function <-> Draft would be greater with constructional/guideline modes
c. All the 3D WB-s need a (user managed) library of 2D parametrical primitives tool for placing at certain points for further converting to 3D. At present it is found only in DODO-WB and is not so clear.
d. Extrude/Pad needs some adjustments: extrude/pad bidirectionally X to size, to giudeline(edge/line/ShapeBinder/between two points), to planes(select/create)
e. Select by rectangle in 3D : actually needed tool for selecting small objects and vertices - instead of snapping.

One of the greatest points: geometry / stereometry must stay - geometry: all geometry related functions must stay intuitive.
Example of problems the mismatch of y-z transformations in PartDesign - y moves and changes angle around actual Z-Axis and vice versa. (Just checked under Ubuntu - all the same x works normally, Y-Z mismatch directions)

Your question about expectations (based on geometry knowledge):
Line: can be made based on:
-- 2 points
-- 1 point (position against 2D[distance, cross-section]/3D[normality at the end ]) + direction (against 2D[angle]/3D[plane+angle])
-- cros-section of planes
Plane (is actually a subset of surfaces): can be defined by
-- [3 points]
-- [line+angle]:
a. 2x crossing lines: line(Edge) + position against line (through line or through a point on line + angle to line (including normal to line)
b. Edge: through edge(+angle), normal to edge(, )+direction (angle)
-- [2x parallel lines]: 2x parallel edges, face+orthogonal offset

Angle can be defined:
in 2D: by 3 points / by 2x lines
in 3D:
planar by 2x planes and a point at crossection line + angle to plane of normal crossection
stereo-angle(minimum - triangular): point in space + 3 lines through the point....... and many more ways to set.

A practically needed tool: calculate the free surface of assembly: needed to estimate amount of paint.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Smiling_user wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:08 pm The file is lost, but on my machine (Win7) I regularly face small bugs.
It is best to create a topic for each small bug with an example file and step by step instructions how to reproduce.
I guess these depend on unclear layering of code. Yet I do not know the paradigm of FC code architecture, but the feeling says, that it is not so clear. And probably makes it a nightmare for coders to dig any deeper then the closest interface. Specially in C++ part.
So the general conclusion for FC further development: Refactoring for easy coding and Interface optimisation.
If you are not familiar with the paradigm of FC code architecture it may be a good idea to learn about it before commenting.
For example of concept: there are vast of tools (ready done algorithms) with same functionality spread over diff, workbenches: Sketcher/Draft; Part/PartDesign/Arch(BIM)
If all of them get UI unified (single button - multiple usage) - actually implementing function and algorithm overloading (in terms of OOP) - then FC would be better then low end commercial products: by the productivity increase and simplicity.
It is impossible to optimize FreeCAD for every special workflow of every user. But you can very well create your own toolbar with the special functions you need. So it's up to you to configure your FreeCD properly to get the most of it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Smiling_user wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:08 pm
3. -> [/color]You've understood right: Aliases(/Names)-of-Constraints
1. -> The file is lost, but on my machine (Win7) I regularly face small bugs.
I suggest updating to Win10. I believe it is still free to upgrade to licensed users. Win7 was a great OS, but now it is no longer being supported with security updates.

You can do block select in the 3d view by pressing Shift+B, then drawing the rectangle.

No, I still do not understand exactly the nature of the bug you mentioned or how to reproduce it. If you can go step by step and explain what you are seeing versus what you were expecting to see, then perhaps someone can fix it or explain what you are doing wrong in the case it is not a bug after all.
Smiling_user

Post by Smiling_user »

The bug about minuses - I can't reproduce. guess it was rised by improper plugin install.

The bug with DatumPlane axis Y/Z (Offset)is present and the same in both Win (0.19 pre) and Ubuntu PPA-daily.
It is about business layer and UI connection.
What I expect: changing value at Y(angle or offset) would move the datum plane (around or along) against Y axis. (same for Z)
What I face: changing value at Y(angle or offset) is moving the DatumPlane (around or along) against Z axis. (same for Z)
While changing value at X(angle or offset) is moving the datum plane (around or along) against X axis.
the stability - makes it possible to get used to it, but... would be more convenient to have all in it's expected order.

Word size of OS: 64-bit / Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit / Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release / Branch: unknown
Hash: ed4876abb4d34ef4ecd3503f487c4a78527e3216
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0