Upgrading to FreeCAD 19 plus Linux Mint 20

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tonyaimer

Upgrading to FreeCAD 19 plus Linux Mint 20

Post by tonyaimer »

I am posting this is this section of the forum because this section probably has the biggest exposure.

[Note to moderator] I will also post a copy of this in the installation section.

I wanted to warn/advise/help anyone else who is encountering the same problem or who may do so in future.

I upgraded FreeCAD to version 19 because I wanted to use Assembly4 WB. As Linux 20 was about to be released
in late June 2020 I held off and did the Linux Mint 20 first and then FreeCAD.

So far so good and the installation went fine except for the fact that I could no longer see my Win XP machines on the
network as I could before in Linux Mint 18. Nor my printer on the network.

It turns out that the version of samba that comes with Mint 20 assumes that all windows users have upgraded to Win10!

Win10 is the reason I am moving to Linux even though it may take a few years. I know winXP is not supported any more
but I don't care about that. I even run an old version of Win 3.1 which is not on the network and has never had a virus!

By adding 5 lines to my smb.conf file I was able to then get samba to see my old XP network and all is now fine and
even my printer is now working.

You can search the Linux Mint forum for a thread called "samba almost working" if you need to follow up on the details.

The guys over there are just as helpful as the guys on this forum.

Hope this may help someone who has/will have the same problem - I don't know if other Linux distros have a similar problem.

Regards

Tony Aimer