Lock-up when using Part WB Fillet

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
malsyned

Lock-up when using Part WB Fillet

Post by malsyned »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 980ecc87a3357475d9643955735f2e4b77887968
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

I have managed to build a part that locks up FreeCAD when I try to fillet a specific one of its edges. Bizarrely, the part the edge belongs to was mirrored, and the corresponding edge on that mirror fillets without trouble.

Here's a link to the file causing the trouble: http://malsyned.net/tmp/enclosure.FCStd

If I edit the fillet named "Troublesome Fillet" and add the edge depicted in the attached screenshot, FreeCAD shows a busy cursor for as long as I've been willing to wait, and needs to be killed.

Am I doing something wrong that is confusing FreeCAD? Is this a legit bug?
fillet-freeze-bad-edge.png
fillet-freeze-bad-edge.png (57.83 KiB) Viewed 527 times
malsyned

Re: Lock-up when using Part WB Fillet

Post by malsyned »

I never found a fix for this problem, and had to work around it. The problem seems to be related to the angle between the troublesome edge and the adjacent edge that meets it at a shallow angle.

I'm also now running into another lock-up I suspect may be related, on the same project. Here's a link to the file with the problem: http://malsyned.net/tmp/enclosure-forum-2.FCStd

Any change to the Spreadsheet, even adding arbitrary text to an unused cell, causes FreeCAD to lock up. If the Cut named "Enclosure" is deleted, the bug goes away and the spreadsheet can be modified again. But! then trying to re-create that Cut from its component Parts locks FreeCAD up.

P.S. I am running freecad-daily, so now the About info has a different hash, 76e74294894bbce46d006e149315c6274d206278
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Right Palm Pad Cut and Left Palm Pad Cut have geometry errors. I suspect that is the source of the lockups.

Use Menu >> Part >> Check Geometry to see the error messages.

Gene
malsyned

Post by malsyned »

GeneFC wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:12 pm Right Palm Pad Cut and Left Palm Pad Cut have geometry errors. I suspect that is the source of the lockups.

Use Menu >> Part >> Check Geometry to see the error messages.

Gene
Oh thank you, I'm relieved to have some direction on this.

I find that I only get errors in the geometry check if I check "Run BOP Check" -- is that what you found too?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

malsyned wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:43 pm I find that I only get errors in the geometry check if I check "Run BOP Check"
I did not try it any other way, so I cannot say. If you want to find errors, you need to check for them. With that said, however, the checking process is known to produce false positives in some cases. You need to investigate.

Gene