The Open Document Widget is NOT showing ALL my files

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: The Open Document Widget is NOT showing ALL my files

Post by TheMarkster »

mario52 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:57 am
TheMarkster post_id wrote:Thanks, Mario. I think have the bug fixed now.
not fixed
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22130 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: dc65b055e5143a7d7349520da466d4d722df57e8
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0

mario
I think I have it fixed in my PR, but the PR hasn't been committed yet. The fix is only related to the recent macros stuff. If the same thing is happening with other settings the bug is probably in the implementation of those settings as opposed to a general FreeCAD bug in preferences.
Bludlust

Post by Bludlust »

Yes, I went to root, yes I opened the media folder. Like I said, there is NOTHING in the media folder when using Fcad.....Ubuntu 20.04, however, DOES show the drive I want.

I tried having Fcad open to the start screen and dragging a file from my Drive 2 into Fcad. nothing happened. I then coped THAT SAME file to the home/documents directory. I successfully dragged that file from the home/documents into Fcad and it opened.

Fcad has a problem with NOT seeing ANYTHING other than the home directory.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Maybe you can try the previous command I gave with 'True' instead of 'False'. Who knows... :?
Bludlust

Post by Bludlust »

nope, changing from False to True did not help.

I have also tried editing my fstab file to make me drive 2 auto mount....didn't work.

I REALLY want to get this to work as everything I can read, and the few tutorials I've used tell me this is the program I want. But, if I can't get it to MY library of files and drawings, it is useless to me. I absolutely will not clutter my home directory with data.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Bludlust wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:16 pm nope, changing from False to True did not help.

I have also tried editing my fstab file to make me drive 2 auto mount....didn't work.

I REALLY want to get this to work as everything I can read, and the few tutorials I've used tell me this is the program I want. But, if I can't get it to MY library of files and drawings, it is useless to me. I absolutely will not clutter my home directory with data.
I can only attest to using on Linux, but, while the file open dialog does behave badly saving previously opened folders, I have files all over my network on servers, shared drives, USB drives and I can get to any of them from this dialog. So I don't get what's going on your system.

Try making a mount point in your home directory and mounting it there. Or, maybe, a link to it from your home directory?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

drmacro wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:29 pm I can only attest to using on Linux, but, while the file open dialog does behave badly saving previously opened folders, I have files all over my network on servers, shared drives, USB drives and I can get to any of them from this dialog. So I don't get what's going on your system.
+1
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Bludlust wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:16 pm I REALLY want to get this to work as everything I can read, and the few tutorials I've used tell me this is the program I want. But, if I can't get it to MY library of files and drawings, it is useless to me. I absolutely will not clutter my home directory with data.
So back to start. Please post your full info as indicated in the link of the red banner. We don't even know if you're using a snap, an appimage or the PPA.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

I run ubuntu 18.4 inside a virtualbox vm (win 10 host) because I find it so much easier to compile under ubuntu. To access files on the host I mount the drive using the "Files" file explorer. When I click my network share it brings up a dialog where I have to enter my password, and then the contents of the network folder show up in "Files". Usually I just drag/drop the file I want over to the local /home/username/Documents folder and open it from there in FreeCAD.

But today I created a symlink to that location in the /home folder and was able to open them directly in FreeCAD.

In Files I went to the folder I was interested in (in this case c:\users\username\Documents) then right-clicked and chose to bring up a terminal here (open in terminal). This opens a terminal in that folder and displays the mount point. In this case:

/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=hp-i7,share=users/username/Documents

I copied this to the clipboard and switched to my home folder

cd /home/username

Then inside that folder I created the symbolic link

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=hp-i7,share=users/username/Documents hp_documents
Now I can navigate to that symbolic link and open it in FreeCAD and get to those files (after mounting in Files).
Bludlust

Post by Bludlust »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16093 +53 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: 0.18.4
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.5.2
Qt version: 5.5.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

I have tried creating a mount point, editing the fstab file, (which then totally denied me access to the Drive 2, as in, it wasn't even listed in file explorer. I have NOT yet created a sym link...that's next.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Bludlust wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:18 am OS: Ubuntu Core 16
Out of curiosity, what's your hardware?
I don't know a lot this distro, but I know it's primary goal is to offer secure environment for IoT and embedded devices. So wouldn't that be a security lock to prevent applications to access any storage areas? Maybe there are some specific settings or flags? Or some notion of trusted applications?
At this point I think your problem is your distro.