Exploded Assembly jumps back

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
putzwasser

Exploded Assembly jumps back

Post by putzwasser »

Hi,

I tried to create an exploded assembly for my timber frame. I wanted to insert a view of the exploded assembly into a TechDraw page.

Unfortunately the exploded assembly "jumps back" after the animation went through. By jumping back I mean that every object—except the last animated object—gets reset to its original position after the document got recomputed. See the screencast:
Screencast.gif
Screencast.gif (674.58 KiB) Viewed 1114 times

This creates the problem, that the TechDraw view doesn't show the exploded assembly, but rather only the last animated object "exploded":
Semi-exploded-view.png
Semi-exploded-view.png (37.38 KiB) Viewed 1114 times

Why is the animation/view always jumping back and how can I prevent it?
papyblaise
Veteran

Re: Exploded Assembly jumps back

Post by papyblaise »

use a techdraw page and place each part séparatly on
to sélect one and clik insert multivue of drawable object
Attachments
timber frame.FCStd
(120.41 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
timber frame page.PNG
timber frame page.PNG (26.85 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

putzwasser wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:22 pm Unfortunately the exploded assembly "jumps back" after the animation went through. By jumping back I mean that every object—except the last animated object—gets reset to its original position after the document got recomputed.
Please post an FCStd file and any related scripts. Thanks.

If the 3D model is changing, the TD View will only reflect the model at the time it is recomputed. The view is not aware of previous animation steps.

You will need an animation step (frame? cell?) that depicts all the components in their exploded position.
putzwasser

Post by putzwasser »

wandererfan wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:32 pm Please post an FCStd file and any related scripts. Thanks.
Timber-Frame.FCStd
(375.79 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
wandererfan wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:32 pm You will need an animation step (frame? cell?) that depicts all the components in their exploded position.
How do I create one?
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

putzwasser wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:52 pm How do I create one?
Not sure. Didn't know there was an ExplodedAssembly workbench before this thread.

From a quick look at the EA code, each step of the animation changes the placement of one or more components. At some point (end of animation? exit from workbench?) the placements are set back to the original unexploded values.

Since the TD view follows the state of the source objects, when the placements are reset, the view gets updated to the unexploded state.

I think we need a mod to ExplodedAssembly to save a copy of the source objects in their exploded positions. Then the view could use the exploded copy as its source.
putzwasser

Post by putzwasser »

So, there is no chance to do this until someone implements that feature?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

putzwasser wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:05 pm So, there is no chance to do this until someone implements that feature?
That's very right. But you can sort of do it manually by moving the views to their appropriate positions. Here is an example of such a handmade TechDraw page
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-06 um 22.16.14.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-06 um 22.16.14.png (128.08 KiB) Viewed 880 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
putzwasser

Post by putzwasser »

chrisb wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:18 pmThat's very right. But you can sort of do it manually by moving the views to their appropriate positions. Here is an example of such a handmade TechDraw page
That looks quite nice.

Do you insert a separate view of each body/part and move it by hand? How do you align the parts, so that they still are on one plane (e.g. part 5-8)?

Do you have a link to a tutorial at hand? I imagine it quite difficult, to align the parts so that it look like a good explosion drawing.

Regards
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

putzwasser wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:49 pm Do you insert a separate view of each body/part and move it by hand?
Yes, it was all done manually, and it was no easy task. Although the result looks like it was easy as pie it was quite some fiddling.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.