Multiple posts with holes....

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PhillHS

Multiple posts with holes....

Post by PhillHS »

Hi all,

Working on FreeCAD 0.18, Windows 10, in the Part workbench.

I'm designing a case that will hold a circuit board, currently I have the box (made from two cubes, one cut from the other) plus other cutouts / wlls to suit the board that will be in there.
I need to create 4 mounting posts, which will be 7mm wide, 5mm high, with a 3.2mm hole all the way through them (and the bottom of the case). Also on the outside of the case I will need the hole to be 5mm wide to allow for the head of the mounting screw.

I can doi this for a single post by creating the 7mm by 5mm cylinder, merging it with the box and then cutting out the holes with the subtract tool. But I would need to do that for all the posts. Is there a way of doing this once, and then copying for the other 3?

Cheers.

Phill.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Multiple posts with holes....

Post by jmaustpc »

PhillHS wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:12 am Part workbench
Sounds like you are using the Part WB with a CSG style work flow. If you were using PartDesign WB you would need to upgrade to the latest 0.19 snapshot of FreeCAD's dev branch to get the extra functionality in PartDesign Pattern features.

So assuming that you are talking about Part WB, then the answer is to model one peg then us Draft WB Array or Draft WB Clone tools to place the copies.

If I understand you correctly you want pegs with a hole in them but you want the hole to also continue to go through the bottom of the box. So in that case make two solids, one for the post and one for the cutting tool to make the hole (countersunk?) then create the Arrays/Clones of each, then make a Part Fuse and Part cut using those Draft Arrays/clones. Note that you can have arrays of arrays, clones of clones of clones of arrays etc.

Jim