Need Help Exporting Draft to PDF

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
aldraw

Need Help Exporting Draft to PDF

Post by aldraw »

Hello, new user here enjoying the software so far.

I'm trying to export to PDF a floor plan I made in the drafting workbench, however it gives me a blank page. I also tried "tools -> save picture" but the image comes out blank (or black). I then tried the export as TechDraw (.svg etc) but get "Export of this object type not supported by TechDraw module". Help me!?

File:
20-5-26 Noodle Line Layout (CAD) layout 1.FCStd
(142.79 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Gregory son of Carl

Re: Need Help Exporting Draft to PDF

Post by Gregory son of Carl »

You need to create a page first to export a PDF using the TechDraw workbench.

Click "Insert Default Page" to make a page. If you don't want a view frame or title block then you can create a blank svg file and use that as the template by selecting "Insert Page using default template"

Highlight all of your draft objects and then select "Insert a view" to put your floor plan onto the page. You will probably need to scale it way down for the view to fit. Scaling can be done from the Data tab.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Here is the link to the wiki, regarding the TechDraw workbench: TechDraw_Module

I think blank templates for the TechDraw pages already exist. Therefore you don't have to create your own.
aldraw

Post by aldraw »

First I want to thank you guys/gals for the help. I really appreciate it. Being a complete newb though I need a little more guidance if you'd be so kind.

1. I was able to make the techdraw page and insert view in page. However the field is blank. I can highlight each object but the edges are not shown. Any way to get them to show up?

2. If I can get the edges and text to show up it's just a matter of scaling, is there a way to change the scale of all the objects at once?

Thank you for the support!!

EDIT 1

Ok Correction, I can see the object edges when I zoom in but they are very faint (like a light grey). Is there a way to darken the lines up?

Working on figuring out the scaling :
Last edited by aldraw on Thu May 28, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aldraw

Post by aldraw »

DELETED (Moved to last post)
Last edited by aldraw on Thu May 28, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

We'll get there. Could you please share your current file? It'll help me to understand you better.
aldraw

Post by aldraw »

Got that scaling working! Just had to find that tab in the correct workbench (why is straightforward so hard sometimes?? :)
It also made the lines show up more clearly, however the dimensions arent showing? Gonna keep trying here :?

Updated file attached!
20-5-26 Noodle Line Layout (CAD) layout 1.FCStd
(149.19 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

You've to add the dimensions you need. For example mark a line and click on the "Insert Horizontal Dimension" button.

Please have a look at the tutorials here: TechDraw_Module#Tutorials
Gregory son of Carl

Post by Gregory son of Carl »

I managed to get your dimensions to show up on the drawing. You can include them by using the DraftView tool to insert a view of a group object containing all your lines and dimensions. The catch is that the tool won't accept a group object when initially creating the new Draft View. To get around this, you need to first create one from some random draft object and then change the view source to the group afterwards.
Attachments
20-5-28 Noodle Line Layout with dimensions.FCStd
(161.12 KiB) Downloaded 21 times