ellipse cone

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bullhayward

ellipse cone

Post by bullhayward »

so im trying to create an ellipse cone to mimic roughly the shape of my forearm
It is kicking my butt and im not sure how to do it i am a complete newb to cad

the measurements i need are

65mm,54mm
length 200mm
82mm,100mm

i know i need to create my two ellipse then use loft to attach them but im running into multiple problems aligning and making to the measurements i need

tia
Last edited by bullhayward on Mon May 04, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quick61
Veteran

Re: ellispe cone

Post by quick61 »

Hello bullhayward, I usually just lurk here these days but I'll pop in on this one.

Sense you have not shared which Workbench(s) you were using in your attempt, I'll just mention one way of doing it.
FA.png
FA.png (15.99 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
I used Draft and made the first ellipse and then copied it and changed the major, minor, and Z height in the second ellipses Data tab, then did a Part > Loft and done. Would you mind sharing a bit more detail on what the exact nature of your troubles were, what Workbenches and tools you were using that were giving you trouble? We should be able to help you understand what you were doing correct and wrong and get you on your way. FC file below.

Welcome to the forum.

Mark
FA.FCStd
(11.68 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hi Mark, it's been a while - welcome back!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

chrisb wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:53 am Hi Mark, it's been a while - welcome back!
Hello, I'v been lurking around, keeping an eye on the great work you all are doing in Path. Seems to be getting better all the time. Starting to eyeball an older Haas VF1 or maybe VF2, and noticed there is no post in FreeCAD yet for those machines. Not wanting to divert from the OP, I'll stop there. ;)

Don't know if you checked out that model that I attached above, but the loft between the 2 ellipse faces didn't want to make a solid the first or second time I did a compute on it. Third time was a charm, even though Check Geometry showed no errors except it wasn't a solid when it was suppose to be. Thinking it was an "OCC thing".

Mark
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Did you have set Solid=True?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Open a new discussion in
quick61 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:04 am there is no post in FreeCAD yet for those machines.
Open a new topic in Path subforum. Have a look at the wiki about postprocessors and provide a handmade tombstone path.
bullhayward

Post by bullhayward »

Well I was using part design created a body then sketcher to create an ellipse and that's where it started to go wrong

When I tried to set my first and second radius it would turn the alignment of the ellipse so then when I tried to create the second one it would shift it aswell so my two first measurements where not lined up on say the x axis

The second issue I ran into is it told me my 100 mm measurement was not compatible

So that's about where I got before i decided to call on help
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

chrisb wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:59 am Did you have set Solid=True?
Sure did. Set to Solid in the Loft dialog when I first made the loft. Loft > Data showed =True but Check Geometry only reported Wires and Faces, not even a Shell. After several recomputes, switching Solid and of and on, and Ruled Surfaces on and of it finally rung out.
chrisb wrote:Open a new topic in Path subforum. Have a look at the wiki about postprocessors and provide a handmade tombstone path.
If I end up with one I will. No sense of me putting the wheel before the hamster.

Mark
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

bullhayward wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:12 pm Well I was using part design created a body then sketcher to create an ellipse and that's where it started to go wrong

When I tried to set my first and second radius it would turn the alignment of the ellipse so then when I tried to create the second one it would shift it aswell so my two first measurements where not lined up on say the x axis

The second issue I ran into is it told me my 100 mm measurement was not compatible

So that's about where I got before i decided to call on help
Did you constrain your ellipse, like center point and end point of either major or minor radius as well as set dimensions? That should keep the thing from flopping around on you.

Mark
bullhayward

Post by bullhayward »

Hey so uh complete newb lol how would I accomplish that?