issue: linear pattern feature for the pocket

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bzb.dev001

issue: linear pattern feature for the pocket

Post by bzb.dev001 »

I'm using freecad 0.19.16718 (Git) AppImage
I created a solid with a pocket.
When creating a linear pattern feature for the pocket, specifying a number of occurrence where one projected occurrence simply touching the solid would not show up as red. This could be confusing in certain designs.
I've included a test project with a simple solid.

Instructions to reproduce issue:
1)Highlight the pocket feature in the document
2)click on "create a linear pattern" shortcut button
3)edit length=5mm
4)edit occurrences=3

Notice that the middle occurrence of the pocket is invisible. Is this a bug?

Thanks
Attachments
test.FCStd
(11.49 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: issue: linear pattern feature for the pocket

Post by chrisb »

Only the non succeeding occurrences are displayed in red. If the pattern direction is the horizontal sketch axis then the second occurrence ntersects the existing body, and thus is not displayed in red. The third occurrence is outside of the body and thus is not allowed - and shown in red.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bzb.dev001

Post by bzb.dev001 »

chrisb wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:02 pm Only the non succeeding occurrences are displayed in red. If the pattern direction is the horizontal sketch axis then the second occurrence ntersects the existing body, and thus is not displayed in red. The third occurrence is outside of the body and thus is not allowed - and shown in red.
The issue is when the occurrence barely touches the solid, the solid is not noticeably changed and red is not shown to indicate that there was an affected area. I understand your explanation. What I discovered seems to be a fringe case. Don't know if this is considered a bug.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Using the model you uploaded and the data given, there is a clear intersection of the second occurrence:
Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-26 um 09.01.52.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-26 um 09.01.52.png (9.52 KiB) Viewed 354 times
bzb.dev001 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:42 pm 1)Highlight the pocket feature in the document
2)click on "create a linear pattern" shortcut button
3)edit length=5mm
4)edit occurrences=3
If you use my file with fully constrained(!) sketches and follow your reproducing procedure you can see that the second occurrence is showing in red as it just touches the pad.
If you reduce the LinearPattern length to 4.999 a touching mark can be seen and the red colour disappears.
Attachments
linearPatternTouch.FCStd
(10.03 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.