How2 render/export dimension w povray?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Chrigu

How2 render/export dimension w povray?

Post by Chrigu »

hiho,

I would like to draw such a sketch like on page 6+7 in this manual.
Therefore, i got used to FreeCAD. Rendering is working but without dimension. How could I add these in the povray rendering?

My first draft:
Attachments
Modell-Hauseinfuehrung_FreeCAD 0.18.png
Modell-Hauseinfuehrung_FreeCAD 0.18.png (26.46 KiB) Viewed 589 times
vocx
Veteran

Re: How2 render/export dimension w povray?

Post by vocx »

Chrigu wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:11 pm ...
Therefore, i got used to FreeCAD. Rendering is working but without dimension. How could I add these in the povray rendering?
I think you would need to create solid objects, for example, cylinders, to represent the dimensions lines. And the text, similarly, needs to be created with Draft ShapeString, and Part Extrude, to make it solid. Then you can export everything to POV-Ray. Otherwise, you won't see the text. Basically, normal text isn't solid, so it can't be rendered; you need to have solid so they can be rendered.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

yes, i think povray can only render triangle meshes, so you must somehow create actual geometry on top of your "geometry-less" objects such as lines and texts
schupin

Post by schupin »

It's certainly easier to add these texts after the rendering using an image editor (gimp for instance)
Chrigu

Post by Chrigu »

hmm thx – that's what I assumed. not so comfortable as dimensioning in "construction view"…
insert dimensioning in FreeCad as pipes and Draft ShapeString is a bit annoying, but probably better "integrated" into perspective…
Attachments
Hauseinfrg.png
Hauseinfrg.png (259.38 KiB) Viewed 456 times