How to make portable FreeCAD into a USB stick?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
callisto

How to make portable FreeCAD into a USB stick?

Post by callisto »

Hi guys,

I discovered that FreeCAD has issues when used as portable program in Windows with a USB pendrive.

I have a problem with the FreeCAD version installed on my desktop now which shows addons and settings already set for the USB pendrive.
The conclusion is that FreeCAD store into the desktop drive the settings I want to use for my pendrive version.

As example I can mention that I created a copy in my pendrive of the FreeCad Appdata folder already installed on my desktop used to store settings and macros, but part of the settings are stored into the desktop I used to play with the USB pendrive, which I dont want to alter anyway.

When Im going to install the Addons they are still installed into the original desktop installation hidden "AppData" folder and not into my USB pendrive.

Is there any way to tell FreeCAD to use a specific PATH where to store settings and data and macros without to use the uncomfortable AppData only please?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to make portable FreeCAD into a USB stick?

Post by chrisb »

You can use commandline switches to control which config files are used: -u for user.cfg and -s for system.cfg, see https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Start_u ... ne_options for details.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
callisto

Post by callisto »

chrisb wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:13 am You can use commandline switches to control which config files are used: -u for user.cfg and -s for system.cfg, see https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Start_u ... ne_options for details.
very thanks Chris, it is what I need to avoid using the default paths!!
I create a batch file with the config file call.

Callisto.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

callisto wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:58 am very thanks Chris, it is what I need to avoid using the default paths!!
I create a batch file with the config file call.
You're welcome. That's what I do to test with old 0.16 versions. If they use the same config files, it can lead to troubles.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

callisto wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:58 am I create a batch file with the config file call.
You could just have edited the FreeCAD.exe icon to add parameters. ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Not everyone uses Windows, and I don't really want to become a Mac programmer.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

chrisb wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:10 pm Not everyone uses Windows
I know (trust me :lol:) but as @callisto talk about a "batch file", I deduce that he was using Windows. :)
callisto

Post by callisto »

openBrain wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:21 pm
chrisb wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:10 pm Not everyone uses Windows
I know (trust me :lol:) but as @callisto talk about a "batch file", I deduce that he was using Windows. :)
yes, MS-Windows 10.

I have also Linux Mint but at the moment I use MS-Windows due to other software i need to use.

The reason I'd like to use a "portable version" is to make sure my changes, mainly scripts addons and WBs are consistents and not spread around pendrives, folders, desktops, laptops etc...

Callisto.
:)
callisto

Post by callisto »

chrisb wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:13 am You can use commandline switches to control which config files are used: -u for user.cfg and -s for system.cfg, see https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Start_u ... ne_options for details.
A quick mention:
(with Windows 10)
At that page you linked (Config Set paragraph "example") the real path should be: .\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD and not .\Application Data\FreeCAD

Callisto.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for pointing out, I changed it. You can verify if it is ok now.