Chamfer makes my object disappear (newbie)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tzulah

Chamfer makes my object disappear (newbie)

Post by tzulah »

I'm brand new to FreeCAD and pretty new to modeling in general (but I am very determined).

I am trying to create a series of stamps. Each stamp will have a unique shape embossed into it. I have figured out how to import my svg shapes and extrude them, and punch them out of a cylindrical slab. I even figured out how to center align them to each other (that was harder than I expected).

What I can't figure out now is how to bevel the edges of the inner shapes (this is a necessary requirement for the working stamp. I have tried them without it and it doesn't work). I have done several tests, and I can get a simple ring to chamfer nicely, but when I try to chamfer one of my actual shapes the whole thing disappears. I have done quite a lot of looking around for help before posting here, but so far I can't figure it out. I did "Check geometry" and it was ok, and I've tried a variety of chamfer edge lengths to no avail.

I'm attaching a picture of a very simple test shape (note that this shape is just a simple outline - many of my actual shapes have inner sections also (such as letters of the alphabet).

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm sorry to say that I have put dozens of hours into different methods of making these stamps and learning different software tools, and I feel so close now but I'm still thwarted. I've had lots of success modeling other things but these stamps are just not working. I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can help me make this happen.
Attachments
freecad_heart_screenshot.JPG
freecad_heart_screenshot.JPG (77.31 KiB) Viewed 580 times