Corner Cut Out

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MarcX

Re: Corner Cut Out

Post by MarcX »

Hi friends,
I found a solution that suits me and that is not too long to implement. I share it for those interested and also for me as a reminder.

In the PartDesign Workbench, the first thing to do is to click on the Vertex of your part where you want your cut, then create a 'Local Coordinate System' with a click on the appropriate icon. Then click OK in the dialog box.

Once done, select the newly created 'Local_CS' in the tree view and click on the icon to create a Datum Plane. In the dialog box of the datum plane, change two of the 'Around x-axis', 'Around y-axis', 'Around z-axis' from 0 to 45° or -45° until your Datum Plane is 'tangent' to the Vertex. Then click OK.

Finally, select the newly created 'DatumPlane' in the tree view and use it to create a pocket. You don't have to create any sketch on the plane, you just have to click on the 'Create a pocket with the selected sketch' icon and to set the deepness of the cut. Then click OK.

Voilà !

Of course, you can set other values than 45 for the 'Around x-axis', 'Around y-axis', 'Around z-axis' angles of your Datum Plane

That's all folks
--
Marc BERLIOUX
mfro

Post by mfro »

A nice challenge to train yourself the attachment options:

Attach a sketch to a corner point and two lines that start there, rotate it by 45° around the two axes each and pocket:
Bildschirmfoto von 2022-06-28 17-10-12.png
Bildschirmfoto von 2022-06-28 17-10-12.png (9.6 KiB) Viewed 703 times
Cheers,
Markus
mfro

Post by mfro »

MarcX wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:15 pmYou don't have to create any sketch on the plane, you just have to click on the 'Create a pocket with the selected sketch' icon and to set the deepness of the cut.
Surprise if the plane touches anywhere else on your design :lol:
Cheers,
Markus
MarcX

Post by MarcX »

It never happened till now but you're right, my way of doing can cut other areas of the part.
I'll try your way.
Thanks
--
Marc BERLIOUX
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Here is an approach from another post:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 91#p601091
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Greetings to the Community!

Another example of corner cutting, but dynamic according to the size of the side that can be set, without the aid of a spreadsheet, through another control sketch.
Furthermore, the sketch that determines the pocket (or cut) keeps the same dimension, set, of the side of the triangle without creating a hole in the cube.
Attachments
dynamic corner cutting.FCStd
(20.26 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
dynamic corner cutting.gif
dynamic corner cutting.gif (197.24 KiB) Viewed 618 times
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

-alex- wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:02 pm .......
Hi @ -alex-, greetings to the Community!
Thanks for the report and for the link, certainly a big thank you to the author @TheMarkster for the excellent tool created (we hope that in the future it will be natively integrated into FreeCad).