Bug tracker

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Freakinbob

Bug tracker

Post by Freakinbob »

I tried to sign up for an account on the bug tracker in order to suggest a new feature. It asked me for a user name, my email address and the captcha code. It did not ask me to create a password. I hit submit, and it said I would get an email to confirm, but none has arrived so far. When I signed up for the forum it did ask me to create a password, and the email was sent right away.

I tried to log on to the Bug tracker anonymously, and besides there being no indication of weather I am logged on, there is no where to report a bug nor suggest a feature, so this is the only place I can think of to report this.

What's up with that?
JMG

Re: Bug tracker

Post by JMG »

+1 for this, it happened to me few days ago when I tried to report a bug. (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11841)
FreeCAD scripts, animations, experiments and more: http://linuxforanengineer.blogspot.com.es/
Open source CNC hot wire cutter project (NiCr): https://github.com/JMG1/NiCr
Exploded Assembly Workbench: https://github.com/JMG1/ExplodedAssembly
Freakinbob

Post by Freakinbob »

Thanks JMG I will check out your blog, I am a newbie to CAD, I can draft old school with pen and paper, but CNC machines have no slot to accept drawings! Looking forward to the tip's and tricks! :D
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

I just tried it and it worked perfectly.

I just created a new account named "testofnewaccount" with a temporary email address at http://temp-mail.org and the email came through immediately with the verification URL.

check these
1) did you type in the exactly correct email address?
2) did you realise the code is caps sensitive? Or at least it seemed to have a capital letter so I added a capital letter and it worked for me.
3) are you sure your email has not been stopped by a spam filter?

@ JMG ....I think your problem might be that you already have an account, you would have one already when Yorik transferred mantis from SF to FreeCAD's own site. You should try the "forgot password" URL .... and from memory it is caps sensitive.

@ Yorik
perhaps you would like to delete the new account I just created? I don't have adequate permissions to create or delete accounts on Mantis...or at least I could not see how to do it after I logged in. :)

Jim
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

jmaustpc wrote:@ Yorik
perhaps you would like to delete the new account I just created? I don't have adequate permissions to create or delete accounts on Mantis...or at least I could not see how to do it after I logged in. :)
Done!
Freakinbob

Post by Freakinbob »

I know all of my email addresses, and that they are always lower case, and I always enter captcha codes as they appear, as I assume they would be case sensitive, besides it would tell me that the code was not entered right, and ask me to reenter it, not give me the success message. As for junk or spam, I am hip to all of that too, and have all of the filtering turned off in the accounts at the servers, and let Thunderbird handle it on this end, where I can monitor it. On the other hand I did use a hotmail account, and Microsoft has a way of treating all users of their products like complete idiots, and turning stuff back on that one has turned off for good reason, like the Windows firewall... So I will check that now.
Freakinbob

Post by Freakinbob »

Well wouldn't you know it, I started with a "hotmail" account back in 94, then it was changed to a "Microsoft mail account", now all of a sudden I have an "Outlook" account instead, and there in the junk folder was a reply from the Mantis server!! Strange how I can get spam and even full fledged scamming attempts from other hotmail and other Micro$oft accounts in my inbox, but harmless stuff gets put in my junk folder!! Worse yet, now there is no option to turn the junk filter off at all anymore!!!!!

Sorry needed to vent, anyhoo, I got the reply and activated the account.

This still leaves the question about where to make suggestions unanswered, here or on the bug tracker? Or better yet, why not start a new forum category altogether for suggestions, wish list?
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

On the Mantas Tracker, you will find the Report Issue at the top. Once clicked is the *Category section with a pulldown and the second option is Feature. Use that when making a Feature request, Try to be as specific as possible. Here is an example of a feature request - issue #1587.

You can always bring it up here or in Open discussion first to see how practical or wanted your idea might be first if you want. Bring it up first on the forum may lead you to realize that the feature has already been requested or even already implemented in the master code or in someone's branch soon to be merged.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Freakinbob wrote:Sorry needed to vent, anyhoo,
That's OK for me, I have been having a big laugh ....being a rather anti MS Linux fan. :)
quick61 wrote:You can always bring it up here or in Open discussion
I agree with Mark, it is almost always best to bring up "bug reports" first on the Help forum with a descriptive topic containing "bug?" or similar....because honestly a lot of bugs turn out to not really be bugs. Similarly it is almost always best to create a feature request here on the "Open" forum first as they usually require discussion. If you do these two first in the forums you help to make the Mantis tickets the best quality and limit any unnecessary tickets and duplicates etc. the forums also would usually get more people looking at them.

Jim