Looking for explanations of special displays in the project tree.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Looking for explanations of special displays in the project tree.

Post by chrisb »

Batucada wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:30 am Why is it so important that a value is entered in the Support field? But it seems to work without it!
Beyond trivial supports on the main planes, the support is usually part of what makes a model parametric.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Batucada wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:49 pm What is the blue collered icon?
Expressions
Batucada

Post by Batucada »

I've studied your solution, it makes me blush at how stupid I've been. That was a perfect lesson.

Now I have another question. Is it possible to change the order in the project tree?
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

PartDesign_MoveFeatureInTree inside a body. But it can be a riskful action if you don't manage TNP.

Perhaps :
* Store inside Std_Group or Std_Part.
* Unstore in the wanted order.
Batucada

Post by Batucada »

Hello @Shalmeneser

I took your template as a reference and rebuilt my workpiece, from the bottom up, piece by piece. I didn't take over all the changes, but also followed my own inspiration. Now my file is a bit bigger than your template, but that's understandable, I added also a few things - nevertheless, the current file is still much smaller than my first attempt.

At first I assumed that the colour settings would inflate the file size, but this is not the case, my last attempt showed that the fillets eat up a lot of memory, a structure with some fillets is 4 times bigger than the same structure without fillets.

However, I still have a question about the current structure that is bothering me a lot, because I like to proceed deterministically. The first element, in this case the Skt_Basis, is built on the XY_Plane and thus grows upwards in the Z-direction with positive values. There are a few elements in between that show the similar phenomenon, which I want to address, it is the case with the last element - Skt_Lagerbohrung is built on XZ_Plane (Support), and with it I wanted to create a pocket in which the sketch rotates around the Z-axis. Because the bore object is actually at a Z level of 37.5mm in my deterministic ideas, I would also have wanted to raise it via Attachment Offset/Position z. In order for my idea to work at all, I later adjusted the Map Mode of the sketch to ObjectXY and changed the setting in Attachment Offset/Position from z to y. I can still understand the last adjustment from z to y, but why did I have to change the Map Mode from ObjectXZ to ObjectXY?
Turbine_oberer_Lagerbock_F6.FCStd
(358.57 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Batucada wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:06 amwhy did I have to change the Map Mode from ObjectXZ to ObjectXY?
The question should rather be why did you attach O-X-Z in the first place, default mode for Std Planes is Plane Face, (which works perfectly well :D .)

It is even in bold as a suggested mode in the dialogue.