[merged] PR #4118 The section cut feature

Merged, abandoned or rejected pull requests are moved here to clear the main Pull Requests forum.
saso
Veteran

Re: PR #4074 The section cut feature

Post by saso »

For me this PR and the "new" functionality it brings make absolutly no sense. One does not go and make modifications to the real (brep) geometry of the model just to get a section view of it, one can require to make many such different views and doing it in this way where each would basilcy reperesnt a "branch" (new geometry) of the model geometry is just crazy, this is why normaly this things are done on the screen rendering presentation level (ex. coin, OpenGL, etc.). And if there is the need for a modified or new version of the model then we already have the tools for it in Part/PartDesign/... workbenches. From my understading this is basiclay just an repackaged version of the boolean tools and is IMO not needed and even unwanted. Latest improvements in the realthunder branch to the section tool with the added visible hatch etc. are IMO the right way to go forward for this.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Have you even read realthunders post?
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

M4x wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:30 pm Have you even read realthunders post?
If your comment was to me, I did not answer or comment on his post.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Yes, it was.
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

realthunder wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:42 am The real geometrical section (which is supposed to give the analytical solution) won't be that fast.
Perhaps best to continue this part of the discussion in a separate thread.
And a separate thread I created: Sectioning in general

realthunder wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:42 am ... the aging rendering framework of Coin is actually making the task harder.
Well, you know best, so I whish you a lot of happy programming!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: PR #4118 The section cut feature

Post by uwestoehr »

I found the time to finish the PR:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4118

In my opinion it is ready to be merged, please try it out via the menu View -> Persistent section cut.
(I will also provide a Windows build with it tomorrow.)

To clarify what the features does and what not:
- on starting it checks what objects are visible. (Already existing section cuts hereby don't count.) If there is nothing visible,you get an error message
- you can cut the visible objects
- the dialog is designed that you can keep it open. When you have no cuts in the dialog, the button "Refresh view" allows you refresh when you changed the visibility of objects, loaded a new file etc.
- by changing the visibility of objects and with the button "Refresh view" you can ex/include objects to cuts which is especially useful for assemblies

For details, see the initial posts in this threads and keep in mind that sections cuts
- are basically designed for assemblies
- create permanent cut objects. So when closing the dialog you get real objects that you can edit further. For example to color a cut face, 3D print them or whatever you like.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Thank you very much!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

The PR is now merged.

As soon as I find time, I will add an option to make the feature also cut colliding objects in order to use the tool for collision checking. As it is, without the option, those objects are not cut. With the option everything is cut.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: [merged] PR #4118 The section cut feature

Post by uwestoehr »

Here is a new weekly Windows build with the cut feature included:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds
user1234
Veteran

Re: [merged] PR #4118 The section cut feature

Post by user1234 »

First of all, i will thank you for working on that feature, i really appreciate it!

I tested only a little bit (a have only rare time atm), a view observation and suggestions (please do not take it as angry criticism). Of course the sections are OCCT limited.

Base function:

- one Part/Body/Object:
Works well.

- more then one Part/Body/Object or Assembly:
Often some Objects are not correct cut. Independent if it is a linked object or not. The question is if this i OCCT related.
1_linked.png
1_linked.png (75.59 KiB) Viewed 4481 times
0_unlinked.png
0_unlinked.png (61.93 KiB) Viewed 4481 times

Behavior:

I am sure that you have many thinks i suggest also in mind.

- It makes an own panel, i think the correct place would be in the ComboView --> Tasks, also with a Cancel, OK button and an update view Checkbox, like you made it the PartDesign tasks (which i really like).

- The field of the values are too small. The Close button should be under all elements.
2.png
2.png (30.7 KiB) Viewed 4481 times

- At the moment, the behavior is that all (top) objects in the document are cutted. I think i nice feature will be, that when objects are marked, that only the marked objects will be cut.

- The behavior at the moment is, that a cut object with its (linked) sub objects raises in the tree. I would be nice, that this is a own object, with no sub elements, only with source links to the related objects (like a View ind TechDraw). And when you doubleclick it, then you can edit this cut object. This sounds maybe odd, but i think this keeps the tree view more cleaner.

- It would be very nice, when a own cut geometry (e.g. Sketch) can be supported.

- It would be very nice, when you can also make only graphical cuts. Reason: if the cut due OCCT does not work. Also not all cuts must be boolean persist cuts, for example for assemblies working for assembly operators on very large objects.

I hope you do not understand this list as that i want bother you.

Greetings and many thanks!
user1234
Attachments
housing.FCStd
(131.39 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
coupling_1.FCStd
(610.66 KiB) Downloaded 99 times