[merged] PR #4118 The section cut feature

Merged, abandoned or rejected pull requests are moved here to clear the main Pull Requests forum.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [merged] PR #4118 The section cut feature

Post by chrisb »

I see, you want to have the edges while sectioning. That's o course not possible, if it is a single solid. You may try a compound though.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

chrisb wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:37 am You may try a compound though.
For some reason, when I use Make Compound on this assembly and then enable the Part SectionCut tool, I can't check any of the boxes and thus can't make a cut at all.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

NewJoker wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:25 am Great wiki article, thanks for sharing it. However, the article says that only intersecting parts are not cut. Shouldn’t it say that touching parts (with zero clearance) are not cut too ?
Touching parts are cut. Do you have an example for me where touching parts are not cut? In the image in the limitations sections, all parts are touching each other. Then I moved two of them 1 micron into each other and then they can't be cut.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

NewJoker wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:35 pm For some reason, when I use Make Compound on this assembly and then enable the Part SectionCut tool, I can't check any of the boxes and thus can't make a cut at all.
Can you please share your file that I can have a look?

For info: Section Cut works this way:
- all visible objects are put into a compound and then the compound is cut using a Part Box object.
- the box is as large as necessary, therefore when you change the view (add/remove objects or change the document) you must click the refresh button.

I have the feature in the pipeline that allows also cutting of intersecting objects. To achieve this, I put all objects into a Boolean fragments container and then cut the container.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:03 pm For info: Section Cut works this way:
I added this info now to the Wiki: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Part_Sectio ... round_Info
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:03 pm Can you please share your file that I can have a look?
Of course, I attached the files (assembly and parts, I wasn't sure if they are all needed). The assembly was prepared using A2plus module and there are no intentional interferences. Maybe just some resulting from inaccuracies of the assembly tools.

Bolt-assembly.fcstd
(10.21 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Bolt.fcstd
(10.75 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Block.fcstd
(9.97 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

NewJoker wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:32 pm Of course, I attached the files (assembly and parts,
OK, there is a numerical issue because Block_002 and the bolt works. When I hide Block_002 and then only cut the bolt and Block_001, it fails. I shifted now Block_001 just 1 micron in Z and then the cutting works.

As I wrote the option to allow cutting of intersecting objects is on my Todo list.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

For information: I could now fix the issue that when starting Section Cut when having already a cut object, the Flip state of the cut was not taken into account.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:06 am OK, there is a numerical issue because Block_002 and the bolt works. When I hide Block_002 and then only cut the bolt and Block_001, it fails. I shifted now Block_001 just 1 micron in Z and then the cutting works.
I've noticed a small intersection when zooming in closely:

intersection.PNG
intersection.PNG (11.28 KiB) Viewed 3670 times

I thought that it was just a display accuracy issue (like jagged edges in the sketch with the low value of Segments per geometry) but this one seems to be real. I wonder what causes it. Do you know if that's the fault of A2plus workbench or some other tool ?
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

I just fixed the bug that objects within Part containers were cut being in the wrong position. This way I realized how easy it is to cut in any custom direction - by rotating the Part container.

I described this now in the Wiki: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Part_Sectio ... _positions