PR#2559: expose link and navigation actions

Merged, abandoned or rejected pull requests are moved here to clear the main Pull Requests forum.
realthunder
Veteran

PR#2559: expose link and navigation actions

Post by realthunder »

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/2559

There are also various small fixes. I have made a user oriented video to introduce the Link feature.

phpBB [video]
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
chrisb
Veteran

Re: PR#2559: expose link and navigation actions

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for this very important video. I think this should be moved to the Tutorials and videos forum, do you agree?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

great job, no small effort as well ! Thank you for your contributions, realthunder!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

The video is good but don't forget the written documentation.

For example, I created the Std LinkMake page. The other accessible command is Std_LinkMakeGroup, which apparently has several modes of operation.

Some of the link and expression commands are also accessible from the tree view, the property editor, and 3D view, so the basic documentation should be available, in order to link to it as necessary.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

vocx wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:17 pm The video is good but don't forget the written documentation.

For example, I created the Std LinkMake page. The other accessible command is Std_LinkMakeGroup, which apparently has several modes of operation.
I am thinking of removing Link group commands in the future and integrate some of its features into App::Part. That's why I didn't mention it in the video. I'll complete that page once everything is settled.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

realthunder wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:49 am I am thinking of removing Link group commands in the future and integrate some of its features into App::Part.
Understood. If I recall from the big Assembly3 thread, the LinkGroup would sort of become an alternative to App::Part because of disagreements with Ickby's implementation of App::Part. However, I also got the impression that well, the LinkGroup functionality could still be merged into App::Part to avoid having a competing object. Is this correct?
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

vocx wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:11 am Understood. If I recall from the big Assembly3 thread, the LinkGroup would sort of become an alternative to App::Part because of disagreements with Ickby's implementation of App::Part. However, I also got the impression that well, the LinkGroup functionality could still be merged into App::Part to avoid having a competing object. Is this correct?
Yes, that's true.