[Merged] PR#1148: Backup files policy

Merged, abandoned or rejected pull requests are moved here to clear the main Pull Requests forum.
plgarcia

Re: PR#1148: Backup files policy

Post by plgarcia »

With the last commit the detection of archives is insensitive to the case for the extension.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

plgarcia wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:45 pm With the last commit the detection of archives is insensitive to the case for the extension.
I did a few quick tests and this seem to work OK. All in all i feel your feature proposal is performing reasonably good now. When more users will enable to test and use it. What could happen is some issue or a glitch could emerge you will need to address then. But this is true for a lot of other features in FreeCAD 017 too. Therefore as far as i am concerned i don't see an issue if this feature gets added to FreeCAD 0.17.
plgarcia

Post by plgarcia »

There is no ambiguity in my mind that if a problem occurs on my code I will put the effort in to correct it!

When I say my code, I embed the whole management of the archives, even if the problem occurs in a line of code I did not personnaly write.

And anybody willing to bring the feature forward can do it I have no suceptibilty for that!

I will write a bit of documentation for end users.
Last edited by plgarcia on Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ezzieyguywuf

Post by ezzieyguywuf »

plgarcia wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:09 am There is no ambiguity in my mind that if a problem occurs on my code I will pout the effort in to correct it!
No doubt you will pout, but you will also need “put”

</bad joke>
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

ezzieyguywuf wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:16 pm
No doubt you will pout, but you will also need “put”

</bad joke>
I really had to look that one up in a dictionary:
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/pout
verb
Push one's lips or one's bottom lip forward as an expression of petulant annoyance or in order to make oneself look sexually attractive.
‘she lounged on the steps, pouting’
with object ‘he shrugged and pouted his lips’
Hopefully we are referring to the first part of the "or" :lol:
ezzieyguywuf

Post by ezzieyguywuf »

:lol: HAH! I wasn't aware that the second definition was in the dictionary. Typically it is something children do when they're not getting what they want. But undoubtedly women do it as well, for different reasons :-P

(and men)

plgarcia

Post by plgarcia »

Don’t you think there are better subjects than typo error to discuss about?
I make my best not to make too many mistakes, but sometimes there are some I do not detect before I send the post. A few minutes ago I did not even know what pout means and I have had also to use the dictionary. I was thinking put of course!
Sorry for that!
catman

Post by catman »

plgarcia wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:48 pm
AdjustBackupNaming.png
AdjustBackupNaming.png (79.97 KiB) Viewed 6495 times
This is not how my preferences are looking today. Is there a possibility to activate this feature?
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

catman wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:07 pm This is not how my current V0.19_pre is looking like. Is there a way to activate this feature?
You are posting on a thread that refers to pull request #1148.

This pull request was made in December 2017, more than two full years ago. The last activity was on March 2019. Simply put, the code described in this thread hasn't been merged. It seems it's not a priority either.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
catman

Post by catman »

vocx wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:54 am
catman wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:07 pm This is not how my current V0.19_pre is looking like. Is there a way to activate this feature?
The last activity was on March 2019. Simply put, the code described in this thread hasn't been merged. It seems it's not a priority either.
I did not see wether or not is was merged. At least it seems that there were no objections, really.
Thanks for the update.

Sad that it did not got merged. I think its a very useful and easy to understand feature. :!:

Is there any other way to change the name of the default backups? In particular, on Linux I would like to make them invisible "." prefix or group them together "xback" prefix, because the file manager does not distinguish between ".FCSTD" and ".FSCSTD1" both is type "archive". Changing the filename would really de-clutter the project folders significantly.