[Merged] PR#1148: Backup files policy

Merged, abandoned or rejected pull requests are moved here to clear the main Pull Requests forum.
vocx
Veteran

Re: PR#1148: Backup files policy

Post by vocx »

catman wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:22 am ...
Sad that it did not got merged. I think its a very useful and easy to understand feature. :!:
The code is still there. So, if you want to revive this proposal, you have to do the work, fix the conflicts and all that.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
catman

Post by catman »

vocx wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:26 pm The code is still there. So, if you want to revive this proposal, you have to do the work, fix the conflicts and all that.
I am not sure what conflicts you refer to. The last relevant post was from triplus
triplus wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:16 am I did a few quick tests and this seem to work OK. All in all i feel your feature proposal is performing reasonably good now. When more users will enable to test and use it.
Never compiled FeeCAD but that seems to be required to be able to allow user testing. Maybe a good exercise.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

catman wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:48 pm I am not sure what conflicts you refer to. The last relevant post was from triplus
We are obviously talking about the unmerged pull request #1148.

If you look at it online, there are conflicts with the current code. This means the pull request cannot be merged as is right now. A developer that is interested in this needs to look at the code, fix the conflicts, and then it can be proposed again.

Obviously to test this you'd need to compile FreeCAD with the changes introduced by this pull request. But as it is now, it cannot be compiled, again, because of the "conflicts" in the code. You'd need to understand the C++ code, fix the conflicts, and then compile and test locally.

Compiling

Source code management
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

No need to waste your time on this. It's still planned to integrate the code but beforehand some refactoring is needed. As this is still of low priority for me I don't know when I take the time to do the work.
catman

Post by catman »

vocx wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:02 am
catman wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:48 pm I am not sure what conflicts you refer to. The last relevant post was from triplus
We are obviously talking about the unmerged pull request #1148.

If you look at it online, there are conflicts with the current code. This means the pull request cannot be merged as is right now. A developer that is interested in this needs to look at the code, fix the conflicts, and then it can be proposed again.
Great. You are talking about compile conflicts only, not functional conflicts. I think that is very helpful to know. At least compile conflicts could be solved by someone familiar with C++ but not FreeCAD. Refactoring probably not, though...

Also thanks at @wmayer for your feedback, which means that the functionality itself is considered good idea and its pure technical issues to be solved yet. This bit was missing in this thread so far, I think.
plgarcia

Post by plgarcia »

Dear all,
if you plan to include this pull request, and only if you plan to do so, I can update and solve all conflicts. I should not have problem for that, the change is very simple.
I have been maintaining the pull request up to date for many months what took me some effort, and I do not want to waste my time any longer for nothing.

The change is not much:
- The management of the archives that takes the few new parameters.
- The edition of these parameters.
- The management of the parameters to save and restore these parameters.

Let me know when you are willing to accept it and I update it.

Regards
Pascal Garcia
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I vote to include it
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

plgarcia wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:48 pm AdjustBackupNaming.png
Is there a placeholder for a prefix as well, so that the backup directory can be specified?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Sweet! Congrads to all involved!
Aaaaaaand.....it's Documentation time!
plgarcia wrote::bell:
Just doing a cursory search on the wiki, doesn't return anything on backups except https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Prefere ... r#Document
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs