N-Scale Winnebago

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kchula-Rrit

N-Scale Winnebago

Post by Kchula-Rrit »

This is the first time I've tried making anything of any complexity with a CAD program. With all of the N-Scale vehicles available, I have not seen any motor homes and wanted a few for my model train layout. After getting a 3D printer I searched the ThingVerse Web-site, which turned-up https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2768075 model. If ThingVerse decides to move it, search for "N-Scale Camping Car". It wasn't until after I actually print the model that I noticed that the entry-door is on the left side of the vehicle. Since my layout is set in the United States, I wanted the door on the right side so I made one, using my real one as a reference.

This is just the "house" section of the vehicle; I figured the "cockpit" section of the ThingVerse model looked close enough in N-Scale. Here is the info about my FreeCAD installation:
Version 0.19
Computer: Raspberry PI 4 with 8GB RAM.
O. S. Debian Linux v11 (Bullseye)

Here are the pictures in FreeCAD:
Stbd Bow Drawing.png
Stbd Bow Drawing.png (15.71 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
Port Quarter Drawing.png
Port Quarter Drawing.png (26.1 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
Here are some photos, with the "cockpit" attached:
Port Bow.png
Port Bow.png (432.77 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
The "sparklies" seem to be from the 3D printing process.
Starboard Bow.png
Starboard Bow.png (411.79 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
Port Quarter.png
Port Quarter.png (484.25 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
Thanks for looking!

K-R.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: N-Scale Winnebago

Post by Shalmeneser »

perhaps file ?
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Kchula-Rrit wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:47 am
Very nice!

What kind of printer, please? I've been told in the past that filament printing (FDM) was no good for scale models and that one had to use resin (SLA/DLP) printers. If yours is FDM, then I was misled!
Kchula-Rrit

Post by Kchula-Rrit »

The printer is a Prusa i3 MK3S+, with a 0.25 nozzle, using Prusa filament. I'm thinking of making a model in pieces, so the hull might not have the ridges from the printing process. I cannot say I'd heard about FDM vs resin for scale models, but the resin printers certainly make nice models.

I would have posted my FCSTD file, but it is roughly 2MB, bigger than the max for the Web site. I can send you one if you'd like. It's pretty clunky, it's my first!

K-R.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Kchula-Rrit wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:46 am I would have posted my FCSTD file, but it is roughly 2MB, bigger than the max for the Web site. I can send you one if you'd like. It's pretty clunky, it's my first!
If you have created the mesh in the MeshDesign workbench, it may still be in the file and consume lots of space. You can safely remove it before upload. Furthermore you can choose in Preferences>General>Document the compression rate to 9.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kchula-Rrit

Post by Kchula-Rrit »

I haven't used the Mesh-Design Workbench, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. I just used the Part-Design Workbench. Like I said, it's my first project, beyond making simple boxes for power supplies.

K-R.