Cogged belt designer for 3d printing

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
JacktheRipper

Cogged belt designer for 3d printing

Post by JacktheRipper »

I was designing in FreeCad a small mechanical item for my laser engraver, and needed a cogged belt and two sprockets to synchronize two jackscrews. I decided to try printing the parts on my Prusa 3d printer, and it turned out very well. Here's a pic and a screenshot from the FreeCad model. The FreeCad model is here
Cogbelt.FCStd
(442.85 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
. All the pertinent design parameters are aliased in the file spreadsheet (ss), such as belt pitch, number of teeth for each sprocket, axle to axle distance, etc. The sprockets were printed with PLA, and the belt with TPU, a flexible plastic. The Belt is printed inside out, to minimize the typical stringing that happens when printing with TPU.
Cogbelt2.jpeg
Cogbelt2.jpeg (308.87 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
Cogbelt.jpeg
Cogbelt.jpeg (82.72 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
Making designs for 3d printing (PRUSA i3 MK3S and Mini+).
M4x
Veteran

Re: Cogged belt designer for 3d printing

Post by M4x »

You even printed the belt? Impressive, thanks for sharing!
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

JacktheRipper wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:24 pm
Have you tried FC Gear WB, FCGear_TimingGear for the cogs?
JacktheRipper

Post by JacktheRipper »

You even printed the belt?
Yep, because the sprocket teeth pitch must perfectly match the belt pitch. I have one in a life test using an Arduino and a spare stepper motor I have to raise and lower a weight, and there's no indication of wear after three days of continuous use. Here's a pic of the mechanism I was making for my laser rotary table, to assist in engraving on pint beer glasses for my son:Image
Attachments
IMG_1603 (1).jpeg
IMG_1603 (1).jpeg (294.63 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
JacktheRipper

Post by JacktheRipper »

Have you tried FC Gear WB
I haven't explored that capability, but I will. First glance is that it's aimed at standard commercial cogged belts, like GT2s, which are typical in 3d printers, for instance. I wanted to be able to print both the sprockets and the belt (instant gratification) to the specific size I needed. I think I have some spare commercial belts laying around somewhere, and I'll give the WB a try. Thanks...