3D Printed FreeGrid Storage System

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
instance

3D Printed FreeGrid Storage System

Post by instance »

I posted about the macro that creates these over in Macros. Seems like this is a better place to show what the macro actually does...
  • This is a 3D printable grid-based storage system that I'm using to get my shop organized.
  • This started as a set of macros where I edited in the size I needed, but then I decided to share it, and built the GUI for it.
  • Built with FreeCAD 0.19, Windows 10 (i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz), PyCharm for code editing.
  • Built on a 50x50mm grid with height in multiples of 10mm.
  • The optional 6x2mm magnet holders do slow generation and print times down but are great for keeping things in place.
  • Still a work in progress with more modules coming.
Sample boxes
Sample boxes
collection.jpg (133.71 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
In3D_3x1x2_5div_box.jpg
In3D_3x1x2_5div_box.jpg (958.84 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
instance

Re: 3D Printed FreeGrid Storage System

Post by instance »

Quick note: just tested in FC 0.20 with no issues.
ThanklessLiving

Post by ThanklessLiving »

Looks neat! How is the rigidity and durability?
instance

Post by instance »

ThanklessLiving wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:49 pm Looks neat! How is the rigidity and durability?
Generally surprisingly good. PLA will start to deform over 50C and even at room temperature if subjected to sustained stress it will bend, but people have been using it to make 3D printers for years with no issues, so as long as you aren't stuck in a heat wave it's perfectly fine. PETG is harder to print but is stable at higher temperatures and is competitive with ABS in terms of strength and durability. I've stood on a PETG part and is hasn't flinched and I clock in at 107kg (235 lbs).

I'm printing most of my stuff in PLA. I've got a jig for holding fine wires for soldering, I'll probably print that in PETG, just so it's more resistant to wayward iron tips.
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

Hi,
Only a month ago I did some search for a open version of such a sorting system. :idea: 8-)
I currently ended up with gridfinity but do also not like the strange values like 42mm and the fact not having access to the model.

Do you think you can introduce a switch or input field to change the grid size? This would make both systems possible with one tool what would be awesome :!:

Btw dis you know https://github.com/asoee/gridfinity-freecad
instance

Post by instance »

HoWil wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:43 am Do you think you can introduce a switch or input field to change the grid size? This would make both systems possible with one tool what would be awesome :!:
If you download the macros, you'll find that most of the parameters are available. If you change StorageBox.spacing, StorageBox.unit_height and StorageGrid.spacing both in the __init__ and reset methods, then you'll have a different grid size and different standard height.

I haven't tested this, so there might be some weird things that happen. I'm not sure if the results would really work with Gridfinity because I built most of this stuff before Gridfinity was released, there may be other incompatibilities. Zach's system seems to stack in a slightly different way.

There are several tweaks in the system that are coded with numbers rather than constants. I've been working on getting those cleaned up as I run into problems with them, but that work isn't done.
HoWil wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:43 am Btw dis you know https://github.com/asoee/gridfinity-freecad
I hadn't seen that.
hasecilu

Post by hasecilu »

Hi, if someone is interested on using the FreeGrid as a workbench you can test it here: https://github.com/instancezero/in3dca- ... /WorkBench
Officially is not released yet, but it's been working fine on my computer. Read some details here.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

That looks interesting. Thanks for sharing!