Sony PSP Street E1004 Casemod Project

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
quiret

Sony PSP Street E1004 Casemod Project

Post by quiret »

I have decided to add USB-C charging capabilities to the PSP Street E1004 model. It started from the simple idea that I disliked the notion of another charger just for this system. I dived deeply into electronics. But it occurred to me that a good enclosure for the console is mandatory that also supports the mod.

So those parts were done in FreeCAD already.

It'd be great if the mod case looked similar to the original one and that I could engrave my company details into it. Remodelling the internals is necessary so that the new enclosure fits perfectly. Unfortunately in my case, I cannot design the PCB.

The proximity of internal components is creating a big headache for me.

How I made this: I used my shape-binder workflow as well as smart combination of Part WB and Part Design WB tools to create and arrange the objects. Sketches power the composition of components on the motherboard. I used a ruler to measure the parts, their features with high precision/estimation. I checked many times to make sure the correct positioning and scaling, viewing from multiple angles, screen-to-rl fitting. There will be multiple sketches, a hierarchy of sketches which depend on each-other to make up the final case. The resulting thing will be sliced using Part WB compound split, then fastening hooks added, screw holes, etc. There is still a lot to be done, but FreeCAD is really powerful for this parametric stuff.

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.29177 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: 68e337670e227889217652ddac593c93b5e8dc94
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: English/Germany (en_DE)
When I am done I plan to sell the case along with a service to upgrade your PSP E1004 with a USB-C charging plug, replacing the old plug.

I am scared that this issue along with the topological naming problem will wreck my progress in the future.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: Sony PSP Street E1004 Casemod Project

Post by Shalmeneser »

* Your sketch is too complex (for me) : You should do it with multiple steps : big form 1st, small/complex details last.
* You cannot use a complex sketch for Sketcher_External : too much risk of TNP when modifying this sketch.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

A charging battery can be very hot.
quiret

Post by quiret »

Shalmeneser wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:16 pm * Your sketch is too complex (for me) : You should do it with multiple steps : big form 1st, small/complex details last.
I did do it in steps, actually. Using multiple sketches can help with the TNP, but not completely (sadly). What you are seeing as sketch is just the outline. Then I did the internals as seperate sketches that reference the outline sketch using external geometry... It is a complicated project for sure! But it is made with high precision and quality.
Shalmeneser wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:16 pm * You cannot use a complex sketch for Sketcher_External : too much risk of TNP when modifying this sketch.
You are correct. I am very scared of this risk. But I have to take it. It is on the same scale as finding the right prototyping device for my 3D printing activities.

I hope that the FreeCAD 1.0 TNP improvements (albeit never complete solutions for sure) will be backwards compatible meaning that modifying 0.20 documents in the upcoming version will be more stable.
Shalmeneser wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:18 pm A charging battery can be very hot.
True. The original PSP Street E1004 did not come with any heatsink. The charging circuit that is natively built into the console should keep the thermals in check.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

:idea:
If some lines are to be refered to, the sketch needs to be the simpliest.
Attachments
PSP_SHALM.FCStd
(81.82 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
quiret

Post by quiret »

Shalmeneser wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:26 pm :idea:
If some lines are to be refered to, the sketch needs to be the simpliest.
I will keep that in mind. You might be referencing the various implementation limitations of FreeCAD, for example not being able to put a point-intersection constraint on a b-spline line. Using circles would circumvent that.

-----------------------

Today I have made great progress on the PSP Street casemod project! An important part of the PSP Street case is the disk-drive door. Having correct coordinates on that will allow me to place the fasteners/embeddings onto the case at the correct positions. Take a look at my work so far:

My work is of great quality and excellence. Look forward to the finished product if you want to use my services for modding your Sony PSP console ;)

Kudos to people who helped me at this thread: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=70576
quiret

Post by quiret »

Today I have made some significant progress on the project. Using my newfound Systematic Wall Building workflow I have created the baseplate solid between UMD drive and main PCB as shown in this photo:

The great thing about this new workflow is that the baseplate is easily adjustable by new layers and walls. It is simple to subtract new faces using Part WB boolean operations and then add them as layers. I am hoping to get my 3D printer up to speed soon to try my hands on prototypes.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

quiret wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:19 pm My work is of great quality and excellence.
Only other people can speak of your work. Be modest and humble.
quiret

Post by quiret »

Shalmeneser wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:49 pm
quiret wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:19 pm My work is of great quality and excellence.
Only other people can speak of your work. Be modest and humble.
I have got many years of experience in computer technologies (programming, user experience, design). I have frequented the GTA community, social media sites (YT, Reddit, Twitter). My work should speak for itself, and it is what I am pointing at.

The society has grown really big and there certainly are people out there whose expertise does not get the recognition it deserves. Of course, it requires careful study, which few want to dive into.

Thank you for the advice, though.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

quiret wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:02 am I have got many years of experience in computer technologies (programming, user experience, design). I have frequented the GTA community, social media sites (YT, Reddit, Twitter). My work should speak for itself, and it is what I am pointing at.
Nothing helpful here for FC work.