Garden table for children

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
xcnjkfv9

Garden table for children

Post by xcnjkfv9 »

Garden table for children.
It was made with children during the curfew period by COVID-19.
It is for a child of about elementary school age.
I am a 165cm tall Japanese male. I can just barely sit on it, but my legs are cramped. :lol:
You can make it with 6 pieces of 1x4 square timber and 6 pieces of 2x4 square timber. I try to reduce the wasted parts as much as possible.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.19.2)
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.8
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: C/Default (C)
Attachments
ss001.png
ss001.png (169.08 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
pic002.JPG
pic002.JPG (391.62 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
pic001.JPG
pic001.JPG (379.99 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
GardenTable_v01.FCStd
(234.97 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Garden table for children

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for sharing, FreeCAD file included. Now you have built it, would you say that the two supports in the middle are really necessary? I would guess that it is already very stable without.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Even the Cutting data.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

chrisb wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:17 am Thanks for sharing, FreeCAD file included. Now you have built it, would you say that the two supports in the middle are really necessary? I would guess that it is already very stable without.
If you talk about the 2 support legs, I can say definitely yes. This is absolutely needed when doing such tables.
If you don't add them, the assembly will become loose in a few weeks and the table will very fast "collapse" as a parallelogram by one of its sides. ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

openBrain wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:40 am If you talk about the 2 support legs, I can say definitely yes.
That's what I meant, indeed. So there is obviously a difference in the behaviour between old ladies drinking tea and young children playing in the garden :) .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

chrisb wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:44 am That's what I meant, indeed. So there is obviously a difference in the behaviour between old ladies drinking tea and young children playing in the garden :) .
Not so much difference actually. The problem is all mechanical.
Because the assembly is never perfect (as well as users seating around the table), the table will always tend to skew/slant to one of its side, and without support legs that creates really massive constraints at the fixing points.
I think you can actually figure it out quite easily with some exaggerated situation : imagine the table without the support legs. Now place it on a slopping floor (for demonstration, a really really slopping floor), with the slope direction aligned with the table length. OK, now you got the situation, seat down 6 to 8 adults around the table and let physics do. :lol: You can try same experience with the legs. Does this works for you ? :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The horizontal shelves supporting the table top and the seats would probably have to be much thicker to hold it stable.
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

xcnjkfv9 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:28 am Garden table for children.
Great job ! It is good to see how other FreeCAD users handle furniture design.
I saw you have pads only without constraints descriptions, so I added special report for pads and this type approach so now you can get all non-zero constraints dimensions for your project.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking