Ping pong training robot

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
montagdude

Re: Ping pong training robot

Post by montagdude »

I did the first successful tests yesterday. It was a lot of fun. I need to tweak the design in a few places to get it working reliably, though:
  • Lower incline angle for the chute. As it is now, I can't pitch it up more than a few degrees with the tripod, because then the balls roll over the release flap too quickly for the servo to keep up.
  • Maybe redesign the frame that holds the hopper-stirring servo, because it gets stuck sometimes. A wider stance would help to keep the legs farther away from the hole, which should mitigate the issue. I might also be able to get by with just a different servo motion. It rotates continuously right now, but doing a back-and-forth motion would probably allow it to unstick itself most of the time. The servo would still be stalled while it's stuck, though, which isn't great. I might try it and then implement a redesign if I end up killing a servo.
  • I need to add a manual pitch angle input potentiometer to adjust the ball release flap time when the pitch angle changes. I plan to use a string hanging off the knob of the pot to manually "sense" the pitch angle. I have all the math for this already programmed, but I need to actually wire in the pot and calibrate it. I could use an electronic gyro, but that seems more complicated and prone to issues like drift and calibration errors. Plus I still have a bunch of potentiometers left over (there are four already incorporated).
  • Not crucial, but having all that weight sitting on top of the pan servo is not ideal. It works well enough, but it is a bit wobbly and requires care when moving it. Maybe I'll redesign that at some point.
All this manual work is a pain, especially when it comes to redesign. It would be nice to get a 3D printer or laser cutter instead. Maybe sometime.

I'll post the final video once I finish everything, but for now here's another picture.
Attachments
IMG_8107_small.JPG
IMG_8107_small.JPG (385.9 KiB) Viewed 1945 times
montagdude

Post by montagdude »

Switching the servo motion actually worked really well. Here's a video of the 95% complete device. I'll still post an in-depth one on YouTube later once it's 100% complete. (Video is public, so hopefully there are no issues viewing it.)

https://www.facebook.com/24414912/video ... 650102729/
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

montagdude wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:26 am (Video is public, so hopefully there are no issues viewing it.)
I have to register to view it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
montagdude

Post by montagdude »

Okay, let's try this instead.

phpBB [video]
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

luv this
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Faster! Faaster! Faaaster! (It's great!).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
montagdude

Post by montagdude »

chrisb wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:33 pm Faster! Faaster! Faaaster! (It's great!).
It can go much faster. I mapped the throttle inputs to only go up to 50% max, and I still had them set below 50% (so 25% really) for this video. It's way overpowered. :D
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

You can predict the ball direction, too easy ;)
howetuft

Post by howetuft »

This is a really cool achievement!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Shalmeneser wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:28 pm You can predict the ball direction, too easy ;)
Paint it black and put it in a black cardbox with a box to increase surprise.