Model Mania with FreeCAD

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
alex_55

Model Mania with FreeCAD

Post by alex_55 »

I was able to complete the majority of the SolidWorks modelling challenges. It's all up on github (https://github.com/alexneufeld/FreeCAD_modelmania), with a readme in each years subfolder that includes some nice images. I did this mostly as a way to do some fun modelling practice, as well as get familiar with a basic FEA workflow.

I also used the LinkStage3 'save as directory' feature to make version control with git smoother. I really liked how this works, hopefully that feature makes it into master eventually.

Some highlights:

2004 phase 2:
This one was very informative. I ended up developing a workflow to make intersecting fillets doable using surfacing tools. One of the boolean operations for this model took multiple hours to compute :shock: .

2011 phase 2:

I like this one because it's a good demonstration of how well FreeCAD can do solid modelling. This model didn't require any hacky tricks to get good geometry. Dress up and thickness features just worked.

An aside about FEM:
the challenges usually have a mechanical simulation component. You're meant to use SolidWorks' simulation workflow for this, and then one one the challenge 'question answers' is the factor of safety of the part. Not knowing the exact material parameters or failure criteria that SW assumes for basic sims, I chose to just use this part of the challenge as FEM workbench practice. This was overall a good experience. I only managed to run out of RAM a few times :D

2022:

It's interesting to see the challenges get easier in recent years. Seems the approach to them has sort of changed from "here's a model with several features for you to figure out over ~0.5hour" to "you should be able to hack this out in a matter of a few minutes"

More images, just for fun:
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: Model Mania with FreeCAD

Post by NewJoker »

It all looks really impressive, awesome work :D

Have you encountered any Model Mania cases that can't be created in FreeCAD due to the lack of particular features ?
alex_55

Post by alex_55 »

NewJoker wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:15 pm It all looks really impressive, awesome work :D

Have you encountered any Model Mania cases that can't be created in FreeCAD due to the lack of particular features ?
stage 2 of 2002 is made immensely impractical to actually complete because the thickness tool just doesn't hold up. Fillets are sometimes a headache as well. Overall, solid modelling in FC is in a great place. The PartDesign multi-solid workflow that LinkStage3 allows for is my favorite across all the CAD software I've ever used
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

alex_55 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:23 pm stage 2 of 2002 is made immensely impractical to actually complete because the thickness tool just doesn't hold up. Fillets are sometimes a headache as well. Overall, solid modelling in FC is in a great place. The PartDesign multi-solid workflow that LinkStage3 allows for is my favorite across all the CAD software I've ever used
The thickness tool in FreeCAD is known for its unreliability. Here’s a recent discussion about it: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=67010

Perhaps it could be done without the use of this tool. I will ask on the Help forum, maybe someone will have an idea how to model this. In most cases there are some workarounds.

Just to be sure, you are talking about this part, right ?
https://blogs.solidworks.com/tech/wp-co ... hase-2.jpg

Can you share the .FCStd file for this model up to the stage that you've managed to make if you've tried it already ?
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

This is excellent!
Thank you very much.
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here